CHAPTER SIX

Gena could find no other point of greater contention between herself and Sasha than Jean Cristophe Rouge. So it was no surprise he was already throwing the dig at her. It didn't matter which brainless beauty she brought home but Jean Cristophe had come with a warning and Sasha made a point of making it every time.

She leaned over to speak in Sasha's ear she said in an irritated whisper, "He's not my boyfriend and you know it. Why do you insist on saying it?"

"You figure it out."

Gena watched as Jean Cristophe made his way through the crowd toward her. The son of the Imperial Governor and direct descendant of the Rouge royal family had taken an interest in her over a year ago and Sasha hated it from the start. He always found an excuse to leave whenever Jean Cristophe showed up for a visit.

There hadn't been many visits but each one had been memorable. He'd never asked for anything more serious, but after each encounter she found herself wishing he would.

Jean Cristophe Rouge met her eyes every few feet between handshakes and broke out in a broad smile each time as if it were the first. Surrounded by people waiting for a chance to speak to him it would take time before he reached her.

Gena fixed her attention on Jean Cristophe giving him what she hoped was a warm smile when his eyes met hers a second time. There was an older man with a barrel for a body trying to speak in his ear. He extricated himself by handing the man a drink from a passing server bot and pointing in her direction. She imagined he said something about her because the older man laughed and with a heavy pat on the back, pushed Jean Cristophe in her direction.

Between her teeth, she hissed, "Sasha please be nice."

"I'm not afraid of you, Telly. I haven't been since we were kids. Besides, I don't have to pose for a royal brat."

Gena stifled a groan.

He'd dressed up for the occasion wearing full dignitary dress. The white breast of his green uniform decorated with the Red Moon insignia. It was his family's crest passed down from his ancestors who'd been the first to settle here.

Jean Cristophe stood out among the other men dressed in black formal shirts and pants. Though with his broad shoulders and stature he could make anything look distinguished. His smile a brilliant white against his dark skin was infectious. Very few were immune to that smile. He continued to clock her position as he shook hands, smiled, and made quick work of small talk.

"I need to be somewhere else," Sasha said with disgust in his voice.

"What's wrong with you?" Gena asked him, angry that he wouldn't even make the effort for her.

"Nothing, just be careful. I know you two have been... close, but I don't think he's right for you. He's a Rouge and next in line for governor's seat."

She rolled her shoulders back. He had no right to judge considering his own companions.

However, instead of being petty and commenting on the fact that his date's dress size might be too small for someone with a decent IQ, she said, "So what, are you jealous?"

Her eyebrows raised in challenge. She smiled hoping to end the discussion before Jean Cristophe overheard them.

Instead something sad passed over Sasha's features and his eyes dropped to

"So, if he was so upfront about his intentions he would have told you he was royalty the first time you two met." He whispered back.

Gena had experienced this argument several times before and she was more than tired of explaining her relationship with Jean Cristophe to Sasha.