Chapter 14

(Bakura's POV)

I haven't thought about my friends since I left. It feels like my mind has been stuck on survival mode, concerned only with what's immediate. Losing my ability to think of anything, conceive of any thought unrelated to my fear. Not now though, as I lie on the motel bed watching Marik scribbling furiously at the desk, trying to figure out our next move I hear Joey's upbeat Brooklyn drawl saying something dumb that makes me smile. Hell I even miss Yūgi, a little dash of optimism in my otherwise nihilistic life. I sit up. "Marik?"

"Mmhm?" He hums from his desk chair, broad shoulders stretching past even that as his backbones ripple through the thin tank top.

"I'm going out," I state with more confidence that I have. It still feels like he's the boss somehow. "I'm gonna go pick up a burner. D'you have cash?"

"Yeah, just let me give you a number you can reach me at,"

"Sure," I shrug.

He hands me $15 and a little piece of paper with number written in pen. "Am I not getting a goodbye kiss?" He pouts.

I laugh, Marik able to make em smile no matter how melancholic my mood. I lean down and peck him on the lips. "See you,"

I leave hurriedly, tugging my trench coat over my front. I'm not paying for the burner - who would? I always intended to steal it. The money he gives me is a bonus as I roam the streets of Canada looking for a score.

I find a computer shop and steal a burner from the nicely naive elderly clerk, distracted by another customer's inane questions. I start dialling as soon as I leave. "Fuck, I hope this is his number..." I dial the barely memorable digits into the burner and it rings. I await with bated breath, heart pounding with more anxiety than I thought. "Joey?" I ask once the ringing stops and no voice can be heard.

"If it isn't the Thief King's younger brother,"

A Japanese accent, deep voice cold and detached from the words. Deadly monotone. Blue Eyes. "Wh-Where's Joey?"

"He's a little tied up at the moment," I hear barely audible muffles from the other end. "Would you like me to put him on?"

"What do I have to do," I speak through gritted teeth, not even asking just spitting bitterly.

"Bring me the ring. And Marik,"

"And Marik?" The ring is in our hotel room.

"You just need to give me an address and then you can walk away from this,"

I pick my room key out my pocket And, one side of my brain clashing with the other, read him the name. Each syllable feeling like a scalding fire setting on my tongue.

"Thanks,"

And the line goes dead.

I scramble for the paper Marik gave me and type into the phone.

*

(Marik's POV)

I hear my phone beep and see a random number come up. I answer it but don't say anything, prepared to hear Kaiba.

"M-Marik?"

Phew. My Bakura. "Is everything okay?" I ask hi compassionately. I'm missing him already, my parent only gone for an hour or so.

"Listen to me, you have to leave,"

"What?"

"Leave the room and leave the ring behind. Just go, Marik!"

"Bakura, What are you talking about?" I hear my own voice tremble with worry I don't even recognise.

"There isn't much time! Just leave!"

The line drops dead and as it does, I hear a rhythmic knocking on my hotel room door.