Chapter 6 - Luke

When I hear the distant rumble, at first my sleepy brain assumes it's thunder.

Swathed in cloudlike blankets, I give a tired groan and roll over to turn my face away from the morning sunlight glowing against the backs of my eyelids. I'm not ready to wake up yet from the most amazing dream I've ever had. I want to escape back there to where full lips eagerly await my kiss, a body perfectly melted against my own, and soft eyes staring back at me...

When I yawn and inhale the familiar scent of sweet and mussed hair, my eyes instantly pop open in shock.

It wasn't a dream at all.

I'd half woken in the middle of the night in a start, trying to recall if last night had actually taken place. I'd patted the side of the bed, but I hadn't felt a thing. Now, in the light of morning, I can tell that she most definitely does exist and she's still as glorious as I thought I'd imagined - and I still don't know her name.

We'd been so caught up in each other's bodies that it hadn't occurred to either of us to exchange pleasantries.

She sleeps so peacefully that I'm even afraid to move because it might I wake her, though my fingers can't help but to brush over her cheek, pushing back the long hair that hangs into her closed eyes. My fingers follow the curve of her jaw, tip of my thumb just barely brushing over her lower lip. She shifts just slightly, her mouth pressing against my finger in a way that makes my body flood with warmth once more.

The rumbling starts again and I realize it's the hotel room cleaners going from unit to unit.

That's odd, though, for them to be cleaning so early.

Curious, I carefully shift across the bed away from the sleeping figure to shoot a glance at the clock. I'd thought it'd be much earlier than it is, it's already almost nine.

Dammit! I hiss to myself, wishing that it was earlier so that I could lounge in bed with the beautiful woman beside me for as long as I wanted, but I have practice at ten and I need to get showered and get ready.

Gazing at her, however, made me wonder if perhaps it'd be worth it to miss just one practice...

Before I could mull the thought for longer than a second or two, my hungry eyes roaming over the curves of her body just barely concealed under the gossamer white sheet draped over her, there's a sudden ringing of a cellphone across the room.

I fumble out of bed, half army crawling towards where our clothes are in a crumpled heap strewn about on the floor. Unsure whether it's her phone or mine, I dig through both of our clothes before discovering her phone under my boxers. I toss aside the cotton underwear, glancing down at the glowing screen.

To my shock, it's a picture of Ben's face that stares back at me. He grins joyfully from the screen, two big thumbs up pointed back towards me like he was congratulating me for a successful romp.

Holy hell. Did this girl know Ben? Is that why she came over last night? My mind races. Has Ben ever mentioned a girlfriend before?

Swallowing hard, I leap up and away from the phone and Ben's prying eyes. In my haste to escape the picture, I slip over the girl's skirt and belly flop down onto the bed. My fall sends sheets and pillows flying up into the air.

The woman gives a startled yelp and shoots upwards so she's sitting, the blanket coiling around her stomach.

For a second, entranced by the beauty of her naked body, I completely forget about Ben's photo on her phone and the question of why he was calling her.

"Are you okay?" she asks, voice slurred with sleep, "What in the world just happened?"

She rubs at her eyes, blinking hard and trying to see straight. She looks around, taking in the bright sunlight. When she looks back at me, her face is pale.

"What time is it?" she asks hurriedly, probably late for a rendezvous with her next hockey boy toy.

"Why is Ben calling your phone?" I shoot back.

I'm still rocking my morning wood and I can't get that stupid picture of his face out of my head.

She rubs at her ears this time like she wasn't sure she was hearing me right, climbing out of the bed and starting to collect her clothing.

"What?"

"Ben! Benjamin Miller! Why is he calling you?"

"Who? My brother?"

"Brother?" I echo, suddenly numb.

The girl stares blankly at me, her head tilting to the side. The realization of where I've seen her face before hits me harder than a hundred-pound sack of bricks. That nose, those freckles, the shape of her eyes.

She's all but the spitting image of my best friend, her older brother - and I am the one who defiled her.

Oh god. Ben is never going to forgive me for this.

"What is going on?" the girl asks, slinking closer.

She loops her arms around my neck, pressing a light kiss against my cheek. Her lips linger against my jaw, traveling towards my earlobe. I strain to focus on my thoughts, though her breath on my ear makes my skin tingle.

"You're the little sister he's always talking about," I mumble weakly, staring down at my raging boner, a raging boner for my best friend's little sister.

This could not get more messed up.

"...You know Ben?" she asks uncertainly, pulling slowly back from me.

My eyes wander up her body as though I'm memorizing it for the last time.

"I'm Luke. Ben's best friend. We're on the hockey team together."

She looks away distractedly, her gaze finding the clock as her face drains completely of color.

"Wait, you're Luke?" she cries out, simultaneously starting to drag on her clothes, "You're the obnoxious goalie?"

"Listen," I start, but she holds up her hands and backs away from me, "I'm not obnoxious-"

"I've got to go," she says urgently, entire face contorted in panic, "I just... I just have to get out of here."

Note: If you would like to read another one of my romance stories, check out Dancing With The Baseball Star here - http://geni.us/FreeRomanceBook

us/FreeRomanceBook