Chapter 3

Two minutes later I'm in my room and having a panic attack. What am I going to do? Only one day to write a speech. Think Zirconia, think. My birth playing a role in the creation of the land of Acnologium, it's my duty to write a speech and read it at the festival. Even though my father doesn't like speaking about that land, the rest of Obscurum loves it, for Acnologium is rich in items we don't have and trade us well. Another thing about Acnologium is that they have four seasons, called spring, summer, autumn, and winter, much like the seasons in Obscurum and Lumen. Maybe something about the seasons and how they provide good trade? Or maybe something about 22nd of October because that's the day Acnologium was created almost 18 years ago? Oh my gosh! I suddenly remember something really important about October 22. "My birthday..." I moan, excited but dreading it at the same time. Before, or during, the festival, there is always a huge celebration my dad throws and it's big. All I really want is a small celebration with my father and close friends, plus, I heard this year he might be doing something really special and usually that's not something good. There's a knock at my door, "Yes?" I call and hear the concerned voice of my lady in waiting, Moira. "Are you okay, highness?" She asks softly. "I heard you screaming." I let her in and sit down on my bed, "Sorry, I just don't know what to write for my speech." "Ah," she nods and I pat the spot on the bed beside me, inviting her to sit. "I really shouldn't princess, I'm sure to be punished." She protests but in the end sits down. Moira has this really wierd obsession with punishment, every time she does something wrong, she asks if she's going to get punished... almost like she wants to be punished. "May I offer my assistance?" She asks, standing up and walking over to the desk I use for writing and drawing. I come over and quickly cover up the my drawings of flowers and trees, making room for the speech paper. Moira's eyes scan the paper quickly, reading the few sentences I have. "This is a good start, princess, maybe you could say something about the benefit Obscurum has had since Acnologium was created." "Good idea," I sigh, grateful for the help. "If you need any more help I'll be cleaning your closet." Moira says and walks over to my huge walk in closet. "If you like any dresses, take them." I shout over my shoulder, I hate most of my dresses but I know pink-haired Moira loves them. Alright, time to get to work. I think and dip my quill in the dark blue ink in my inkpot, pressing the nib to paper and writing in my scrawling, messy handwriting.

☆ ☆ ☆

"So are you excited for your birthday?" Shade asks between bites of roast boar. I take my time chewing, "I guess..." I mumble and go back to concentrating on my food. "Is something wrong?" He asks and looks at me. I can't tell if he's still mad from earlier. I shake my head. "Zirconia... about earlier...?" His voice takes on a serious tone and I look up at him. "Who even is Atlas? You talk about her sooo much 'Atlas wouldn't want you doing that, Look at you! Atlas would never approve! I wish Atlas was here...' like who in Leo's name is Atlas?!" I burst out before I can stop myself. Shade glances around and then looks back at me. He makes a gesture with his hand and a barrier closes around the table. I recognize this barrier. It's to keep people from hearing what your talking about. "I guess it's time you knew..." I sit forward on my seat eager to learn who this strange person is, "but you must be upset when I tell you I can only reveal who Atlas is, not what position in court she had and there are other... things about you you're not ready to hear." "Okay," I feel a little crestfallen but I just want to know who Atlas is... "Atlas, a you can probably tell from her name, is from the Lumen kingdom." He pauses at the end of his sentence, hesitating to tell me more, but I nod impatiently.  "Atlas..." I'm practically lying on the table with how much I'm leaning forward, eager to learn this priceless info. Shade takes a deep breath, "Atlas is your mother."