Four - Seclude

Switzerland, 2060

Genji is 19, seemingly young and foolish. If he was human.

These recent events have changed him drastically. Once a lovely, energetic boy, often forgotten about by his father, living a playboy lifestyle in Hanamura, spiralled into a quiet man that hardly speaks a single word. All his amnesiac mind knows is testing, programs and cybernetics, numbers and graphs, holovids and databanks - it was getting too much for him, almost. Was he at breaking point? Maybe not so. 

He was patient. He was a skilled ninja. But now a cyborg ninja? It sounded cool to the innocent childish mind, but for him, he wasn't willing to accept such a cruel fate. He was the unequal divide between man and machine, and he didn't like it one little bit.

In the room he was enclosed in, locked away from all reality, within an artificial night surrounded by blinking lights for stars, the young Shimada began to ponder. His life was full of testing, and it was over for today. But why did all of this have to happen? Why was everything crashing down around him, the focal point, young teenage Genji Shimada, soon to be Agent Genji Shimada? What was he really, some overrated secret weapon? Was that why he was going through so much analysis over the current years? 

As soon as he shut his eyes tight to block out the galaxy of machinery, a flicker of a memory came into place. It was rather dull and out of place, like a worn out tape played over and over again to relive the moment, so much so that the picture had faded, and so would the memories in time. 
Something was in front of him. A shadow of this unknown, and the blabber of distant voices in the background. Yet some key words broke through like a torch stabbing the darkness, but the picture was still blurred.
"The boy is very uninterested in our clan's business. . . I fear he will grow to be a sly snake, to spill our details to the town, the city - the country even. . . I will inform the other members of his incompetence."
With that, the memory fades into the cloud of unknowing once more. Perhaps this mysterious voice of the past was right. Maybe he was just a useless being. Maybe he truly had not a single purpose but to be a machine unable to go out on any mission at this point in time. He had been told that soon it would occur, but when was soon? How long was it? It's been a whole year already.

In this year, Genji knew the base inside and out, for the labyrinth it was. Vast corridors filled every inch of space available around the large training rooms and medical facilities that he'd been all the more used to. He knew where everyone worked, what these people could and couldn't do, where every base outside of this main one was - he even knew about the hidden ecopoint's data around the entire globe. Things like this weren't normally accessible, but he had it, and more information to go around. 
But what about... outside the Swiss base? He was sure everyone and their cat had been there. To the local town and whatnot - it couldn't be any harm, could it? If he wasn't allowed to go on missions, then why not the outside world? Perhaps he could even make it back home to Japan. No no, that must be some sick joke his mind was playing. Back home to Japan? To who, exactly? An empty dojo with his deceased father in it? Who would his father be now? No one, probably. 

2:45am.

Genji escapes the premises of the Overwatch headquarters, and runs away into town.

  ▼△▼△▼△▼△▼△▼△▼△▼△▼△▼△▼△▼△▼