Dappled horse

His grey dappled horse trotted into the Forgotten Forest. It's feet clomping onto the mushy mud beneath its hooves. It had recently rained. It rained so much for that matter that Sit Krieg had to delay the hunt for the princess by an entire twenty four hours.
The rain had left the leaves of the trees moist and the air humid on this spring day. This was the first day in any spring that it had rained. The king sought it as the consequence for losing a part of royalty to the barbarians.
The knight had always thought of his king as egotistic. And the event that happened only two days ago ha don't helped the after thought to bloom of his ruler being selfless.
As his horse kept trudging through the forest he continued to loose his train of thought. He never does this. Why would he do it now? His thoughts of his king being narcissistic had snapped him back into reality. Like a spell being broken.
So far he ha snot seen any of those horrid creatures that the men had reportedly spotted on their patrol. The thought had simply snuck up into his brain like a strange headache.
Forcing himself to pay attention to the direction he was going he came across a strange rock in the shape of a woman's head. Abruptly, he stopped his horse. It gave a slight pull as if gesturing to go further but Krieg wanted to study the oddly shaped rock. Pulling out his male form the patch on the side of his stallion he realized that it was one of those land marks to tell you where you were going. Turns out this one indicated it that he was going to the middle of the Forgotten Forest. Superb, he thought.