44. Hypocrite

Katie's POV – Monday, July 18, 2016

"Hey, everything okay, Snowflake?" my dad asked with a knock as he leaned against the doorframe.  I smiled to myself when I heard the nickname.  It's something he used to call me growing up, since my birthday was the first day of winter, but hadn't called me since before I ever moved to be with Nate.

I sighed and shrugged.  "I'll be okay.  Have to be, right?" I asked with a chuckle.

"Sure, and I know you will" he said as he crossed the room and sat down beside where I was lying on my bed.  "Feel like talking?" he asked.

I took in a deep breath and exhaled slowly.  "I wouldn't even know where to start, dad" I admitted.

"How about telling me what this 5 S. O. S. punk did to hurt my daughter?" he said knowingly.

I couldn't help it, I laughed.  I laughed so hard he was taken completely by surprise.  I tried really hard to compose myself so I could speak.  "It's called 5SOS, dad" I said with a smile.

"There's that beautiful smile.  You know, there was a time when you used to be able to tell me anything.  We used to be best friends.  I miss that" he said.

I nodded in agreement with a slight smile.  "I miss that, too" I assured him.  "But so much has changed and I'm not that same little girl anymore."

"Sure you are, you just keep her locked away now.  Let her out once in a while, and you might be surprised how much happier you'd be" he said.

"I'm just scared, dad...  I mean, that girl feels like such a stranger to me now.  In a lot of ways, I feel like I don't really know who I am, aside from being Zac's mom..." I said.

"Well, I know you're a terrific mom, and daughter.  And you're a great friend, because you've made so many new friends since meeting The Little Drummer Boy" he said with a laugh.

I smiled and shook my head.  "I'm not a good friend, dad.  That's why he's not talking to me.  I knew that one of his best friends was dating his daughter's nanny, and I knew it would hurt him to find out, but I still didn't tell him.  I felt that they should tell him themselves, but because he found out in a really bad way, and then he found out that I knew, so it was like I betrayed his trust.  But the thing is, that entire group of friends knew, not just me, but I'm the only one he's not talking to.  Like, things are still strained between all of them, but they aren't getting the silent treatment.  Just me" I whispered.

"Interesting" Dad said, and I could see the wheels turning in his mind.

"Why interesting?  Interesting that he hates me?" I asked.

He chuckled.  "Why are you so sure he hates you?  Are we not the hardest on the ones we care most about?" he asked.

I stared at him blankly and shook the thoughts out of my head.  "Maybe for others, but that's not the case here, dad.  He only needed me to help with baby stuff, but now that he's got that more under control than he did before, he doesn't need me anymore.  There's really no reason for him to still want to talk to me.  I clearly read too much into what I thought was a friendship, because that's not what it was for him.  I was definitely mistaken" I said.

"Whatever you say, Snowflake" he said, standing up and kissing me on the top of the head.  "But let me ask you this – why would someone who wasn't a friend make damn sure that you were able to take that internship because he knew how much it would mean to you and how many doors it would open for you?  He flies you out for visits – you and your son.  Trust me, a guy doesn't do that for someone he's only keeping around for the occasional bit of advice..." he pointed out as he walked out the door.