The elephant in the room

Cate felt the blood rush to her face and she was glad the ghoul was walking behind her, unable to see her embarrassed expression. The assholes had pushed too far and she wanted to push back. She wasn't going to accept their comments like that. She would have gutted them, but she knew better. She took a turn for the room Sarah lended her and Charon. It had four beds, but the knights were away on a mission, so they could borrow the place for a night until the scribe had the information Cate wanted. Yet before she could act on her primary objective she had to complete the mission the elder gave her: retrieving a memory chip from a ghoul infested library to the north. Apparently the knights that were sent there had been unable to locate it and some of them even died as they were not able to slip past the great number of ghouls and locate the chip. She waited for Charon to walk in the room as well before shutting the door. She felt her shoulders relax as soon as the metal sound echoed on the walls. She looked around at the small room. Four single bed and four lockers. She placed her backpack on one of them. She did not want to look at Charon, but she did have to explain to him what they were going to do next.

She mustered enough courage and locked eyes with him. She felt her heart jump in her chest when she saw his face as stern as ever. He simply stood there like a statue, waiting for God knows what.

''We will rest here tonight until the scribe finds something I want. We will also have to visit an abandoned library and get a chip for them. The place is packed with ferals though, so it will be tough.'', she told him and the only response she got was a twitch of his brow at the world ferals.

''So we better rest for now.'', she mumbled and sat on the bed, focusing on her backpack, as if she had something to pull out of it.

''Care to explain what was that back there?'', she heard him and it was one of the rare times the man spoke on his own accord. It showed how much the action had shocked him. Cate sighed and looked at him again.

''I am sorry I used you to make a point. It must have been embarrassing for a man like you to be used like that.'', she mumbled apologetically, hoping he would not be too mad. Yet she did not regret it. Even if she did it for the wrong reasons, the feel of his ragged lips on hers and the musty scent of his skin were gnawing on the corners of remaining sanity. You are supposed to help the man, not take advantage of him! Snap out of it Cate! ghould

The man took a big breath and closed his eyes for a few seconds before the unnaturally blue orbs focused on her again.

''Embarrassing? '', he asked with a strain in his voice. It was clear he was trying to keep it steady. ''You think I was embarrassed?'', the woman averted her gaze for a split second. '' I was furious for ruining your reputation with my presence and you went and did that. Miss Cate aren't you disgusted?'', he suddenly asked and the woman widened her eyes. She stood up.

''Have I ever showed any sing of disgust towards you Charon?'', she asked carefully and the man shifted uncomfortably, as if the question strained him physically. ''And I don't give a fuck what these people think. They are vile and disgusting. I wish we were doing what they were implying, I would be proud of it.'', she added and then bit her lip. Her eyes widened at her own statement. She hadn't given it much thought before blurting it out. She covered her face with her palms. Silence burdened the room.

''Miss Cate.'', she heard Charon's voice and she scoffed, glaring at him in amusement.

''Are we disobeying orders Charon? You are supposed to call me Cate.'', she commented and the ghoul barely smirked.

''Go to sleep Charon. We have a mission tomorrow and I want to get on with it and leave the Citadel as soon as possible.'', she told him, an order he had to follow.

-----

Charon needed the upcoming mission more than anything. Mostly because he wanted to fill his mind with images of blood and gore and forget what had happened in the Citadel. He still could not believe what Cate had done and he was still wondering why she would expose herself in this way. The man knew what he was: a killing machine that looked like a monster. He had accepted that ever since his first employment and never looked for romance in his life. He couldn't have, as he was practically married to that contract. He had sex, sure, but it was only if his employers allowed him to blow some steam with some random ghoulete who was kinky enough to fuck a killer like him. Yet he felt something stir in his chest every time he glanced at his current employer. Such a fierce and yet kind woman. She was quite a looker too, her feminine face and well-built from the battles, body. He couldn't help but wonder how she would look beneath him, naked, sweating and panting away his name... Focus you dumb animal! He mentally cursed himself and brought his attention to the building that towered in front of them.

''I have fought ferals a handful of times, but the elder mentioned that the place is festered. And we will have to head for the third floor of the library.'', the woman next to him spoke. They were both ducking behind rubble, staring at the double wooden doors of the library. Charon knew he had an advantage against ghouls, as they would hesitate to attack him immediately. Cate would not be as lucky and that meant for him that he would be extra careful for her. The woman sighed and tucked a strand of her hair back in her tight ponytail.

''At least I know where and what to look for.'', she commented and then turned her chestnut eyes to look at Charon. ''Stealth will be tough though. If I get too close they can smell me.''

''I can go and get it for you.'', Charon spoke and the woman's eyes widened. ''Order me to do so.'', he added flatly and exhaled in exasperation.

''You are not my soldier, we fight together. You won't be doing things for me, especially if it involves risking your life like that.'', she replied with the same flatness in her voice, but the man felt his heart jump at her words.

''Let's go.'', she added and held her pistol in one hand before rising to her feet and approaching the entrance of the building with careful steps, the midday sun casting on her figure.