Regular customer

Charon was once more standing at the corner of the ninth circle, bound to protect the filthy bar and its even filthier owner. A few days went by ever since his adventure with the smooth-skin and he hated how he looked back in remorse. He shouldn't have gotten a taste of real action like that, as he now wished he could have it more often. He was more than shocked when at the beginning of the following week, the ninth circle was blessed by the presence of none other than Cate and the ghoul could not believe that the woman hired him yet again.

Their mission was way simpler this time around. They had to get rid of a raider group that made camp way too close to the trading center, which Charon found out was called Trading Mills. It was only a few hours work and the man was certain that Cate could handle it on her own. The woman was absolutely crazy skilled with a sniper and a knife and she practically emasculated all the males in the trading center. They treated her pretty much like a commander, even if she acted like she was just a resident there. Before they headed back to the Underworld, Cate led him to a place different than the bar. He was taken aback when the woman took out a pair of keys and opened up a metal door at a building right next to the bar. A flight of stairs from the outside led to the third floor of the previously destroyed building. Below that floor lived a merchant and his family. It was definitely refreshing to see families maintaining houses and jobs in the post apocalyptic Wasteland.

''Charon. I have something for you.'', she suddenly told him, her casual, kind expression pasted on her face. The only moment he saw her expression change was during battle. She looked bewildered, as if a demon took over her body. The ghoul brought his attention to her, keeping his stoic face on as always.

She opened the door and beckoned him to follow her. He obliged and walked in a very humble and full functioning home. He scanned the area noticing the single couch, coffee table, full functioning kitchen behind, a few iron closets and a set of stairs leading to the second floor where he counted three closed wooden doors, one next to another.

''Make yourself comfortable.'', the woman told him and Charon found himself stiffen, since he was unsure of what to do. She shut the door and approached the kitchen table. Charon did so as well and sat on one of the chairs, his eyes on the woman as she approached one of the three lockers that were against the wall. She opened one of them and took out two medium sized pouches and placed them on the table. She locked eyes with him, those chestnut eyes gleaming dangerously at him.

''These are yours.'', she suddenly told him and pushed the two pouches towards him. She pulled another one, smaller and placed it in front of him as well. Charon was taken by surprise and couldn't help but narrow his eyes at her. Refusing to make any early assumptions, he opened up the first pouch to see shotgun ammo. The second one contained about ten stimpaks, almost a fortune these days, and the last one contained bottlecaps. What the hell was that woman thinking? He could not accept anything not given by his employer and even then it wasn't his. He either just carried it, or used it as ordered.

''I cannot take this.'', he simply said and held back a chuckle when he saw the most devastated expression on Cate's face.

''Why not?''

''My contract does not allow it.'', his voice tone might as well make him a robot. The woman frowned.

''Very well.'', she blurted out. ''Let's go back to the underworld. I have a few stuff for Winthrop.'', she added indifferently and gathered the pouches, placing them back in the locker.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That damned contract! Cate kept cursing in her head. She only wanted to give the man the share of loot from the past missions and he could not even accept them. The brunet mumbled in her head, while looking down at her whiskey glass.

''Why do you keep taking that man with you?'', Gob suddenly asked her, leaning over the bench. Cate glanced up at him, surprised, as she was forced out of her thoughts.

''I could use the extra help.'', she commented and shrugged.

''No you don't.'', he said and crossed his arms over his chest. ''If I knew you had a thing for ghouls boss, I would have hit you up long ago.'', he added, a smirk played on his lips. Cate rose a brow, trying to act cool at his comment as Nova smacked the back of his head with an angry face, making him laugh apologetically. Even the rocks in Megaton knew Gob adored Nova from the very first moment they met, back when they were working for that scumbag Moriarty.

''Seriously though, don't play around with Azrukhal.'', Gob suddenly said and his eyes darkened. Cate frowned. ''I may have not visited my mother for a long time, but Azrukhal I do remember. He is vile and he enjoys torturing others. Charon he cannot torture physically, because of the rules of his contract, but he can make him do all sorts of things.''

The woman rose her brows and patiently waited for him to carry on. Gob sighed and glanced to the side.

''I mean, you sure are a very strong woman boss, but you are very attractive as well.'', he was practically mumbling, as if he did not want to keep on talking. ''Azrukhal mainly wants Charon as a guard dog, but on his earlier years he would send him out to raid and loot various locations. The ghoul would return victorious every time. Yet sometimes the loot was not caps, or chems, but women.'', the words basically hit her like a tsunami. She frowned and now another negative epithet was added over the filthy bar owner's head.

''I do not know if Charon had a go at them too, but Azrukhal certainly did. The man practically drugged and raped them. Some of them were even raider bosses. Strong women.'', he added and locked eyes with her. ''Like you boss.''

Cate took in a ragged breath, as both the ghoul and his partner who heard everything, went silent. She would not dare fear the filthy man. She would release Charon of him and then whatever he truly was would come to the surface. She hoped that her next visit to the ninth circle was going to be the last.