In chains

Charon stood there, dumbfounded, staring at the piece of paper Cate held against his torso with force. He focused on her chestnut eyes again, her determination shining through. He still could not wrap his head around the fact that his previous employer was now dead and that his contract had been passed on Cate. It seemed, though, as if she did not realize it.

''Take it. You are free.'', her words stung him. He could never be free and he doubted that she would be able to understand that.

''You want me to hold it mistress?'', he asked her, the rules of his contract taking over his brain. He had stopped calling Azrukhal master after the first few years of being under his service. Luckily the filthy bartender did not mind him not using that term. Charon could see her eyebrow twitch.

''What the fuck did you call me?'', she nearly whispered the question and Charon straightened up.

''I could call you any way you like, mistress. It is included in my contract.'', he explained robotically. He was in that stage, where he would have to explain all the rules to the new employer, but he did not mind. For once he did not mind his current employer. Cate moved her lips, as if to speak, but no sound came out. She simply stared at him in disbelief.

''I am giving you your contract Charon. I want you to be free.'', she spoke, slowly, as if she thought she had to for Charon to understand her words.

''I am afraid my contract does not work this way.'', his words and face remained emotionless. ''If you do not wish to keep my services you may sell my contract, but I can never be self-employed.'' Cate widened her eyes and remained silent for a few minutes. She suddenly sighed and ran her hand over her face. She folded the paper and tucked inside her jumpsuit, over her right breast, making Charon feel awkward, but pleased in a way.

''There is no way of getting it through your thick ghoul skull is there?'', she mumbled to herself, not even looking at him.

''Don't you dare call me a fucking mistress. You call me by my name.'', she added as she turned her back to him, walking out of the ninth circle with a final mumble. ''Let's go.''

--------------------------

Cate did not see that coming. She had no idea the brainwashing had such effects on the man and now she found herself being the very thing she hated. A slaver. An owner of a person. She huffed as she gulped down the remnants of the whiskey in her glass.

''You might want to slow down miss Cate. Alcohol inhibits proper reactions.'', the large ghoul commented. He had been sitting next to her, after following her every move around the trading center. The brunette could not believe the change of character after she had become the owner of his contract. Sure, he was still stern and emotionless as fuck, but he was now careful for her, something he wasn't before, when his employer was Azrukhal. Gob scoffed and filled up her glass, receiving a death glare from Charon. The smaller ghoul shrugged his shoulders.

''Boss's orders.'', he told him with a smirk and Charon did not react. Cate focused on Gob, who seemed to be enjoying the situation, despite Cate's frustration. She merely wanted to release another slave.

''Still its better you than anyone else.'', Gob commented, as if he could read Cate's mind. She had been thinking about that. She would have preferred it if the giant ghoul had gone along his merry way, doing whatever the hell he wanted with his life, than being stuck with her. Yet if his binding to the contract was that severe, it would be better to be here, than be owned by some other scumbag who might order him to do immoral things. She glanced up at him, actually looking in his eyes for once, noticing a blue color beneath the haziness.

What the fuck do I do with him now?