Missed Opportunities

Heathra

The Farm, September, 1948

I hummed a happy tune as I stood by the stove, making eggs and toast. Admittedly one of the few things I knew how to cook, but I still enjoyed the act of it. The dawn was breaking through the kitchen window, and the birds were waking up with it. Even Viola wasn't up yet, and she always woke up first.

Mama coughed from the other room. I stopped stirring the eggs, waiting to hear it subside. Once it did, I let down my tense shoulders and sighed. Living like that for months, pausing everything to listen and see if Mama was going to have another episode, it was exhausting. But it was also almost over. I had the money in an envelope at the table already, and as soon as Viola came out of our room, we could get the whole process started. She could phone the doctor, Mama would get help from the hospital, and everything would finally be fine.

I grinned to myself. Yeah, once Mama was okay I could go with Arthur. I would have to pay Devin back for his generosity, but after that I could send money back to the farm whenever I had a little extra.

And Arthur... a blush warmed my face just thinking about him. Where would we live? Maybe a small, cozy apartment in the heart of the city. We could find some second hand furniture for whatever Arthur didn't already have, and make our own home.

How scandalous. A smile brushed my lips. Heather was so much bolder than Heathra. Living with a man like that. Or maybe we would get married? Wouldn't that be something. I could picture all the things Viola would have to say about it. Pa too, he would be rolling over laughing at my wild adventures. 'That's my girl,' he'd say.

I sighed, finished stirring and I tapped the spoon on the edge of the pan. I added a dash of pepper and stirred just a bit more. Maybe I should learn to cook more than eggs and toast. Did Arthur know how to cook? Would we both live off of eggs until I got better? Maybe Mary could use a hand at the diner. I did love that place, maybe she could use a waitress, and maybe I could learn to cook a bit while I was there...

Coughing from the other room made me turn my head. It was getting worse. I set the spoon down, moving the eggs off the heat and walked out of the kitchen.

Viola was in her nightgown, rushing from our room to Mama's. I made it through the bedroom right after her. Over the coughing, Viola turned to me with panic. "Put a kettle of water on!"

I nodded and ran for the kitchen. Coughing in the background and Viola's soothing voice followed me around the kitchen as I got the kettle, filled it at the sink, and put it on the stove where the eggs had been cooking. At least it was already hot.

I wiped my hands on the towel by the sink and went back to see what was happening.

"Call Dr. Bowen!" Viola snapped. "She's having another attack and it's not subsiding."

"Right." I turned from the doorway and into the living room. The paper by the phone with all of Mama's medical numbers was already sitting there, and I found Dr. Bowen at the top and dialed.

I bounced my foot as I waited for the other end to pick up.

"Come on... come on." I murmured impatiently.

The receiver clicked, and a soft voice answered. "Dr. Bowen's office, how may I help you?"

"This is the daughter of Iris Johnson, one of Dr. Bowen's patients. We have an emergency, Mama's having another attack and it isn't stopping this time."

"Oh dear, I'll tell Dr. Bowen right away. Get the kettle on and give her the mixture the Dr. left last time. Your sister should know what to do for now."