A Night To Remember

Viola

December, 1948

My world had to fall apart for me to put it back together. I understood that now, while riding into the city.

I watched out the window at the frozen afternoon drizzle that rushed people down the street and chased them inside buildings. Not quite cold enough to be snow, not quite warm enough to be completely rain.

Carpet bag clutched on my lap, I looked up to the driver's seat where Mr. Davenport from church began slowing to a stop. We pulled into a gravel parking lot of a tiny diner. I could tell from the car that it was a rambunctious place, and being the dinner hour did not help.

"Here you are, Viola dear," Mrs. Davenport said from the front seat. "Are you sure you don't want us to wait for you here?"

"Oh, no, I couldn't ask that." I shook my head as Mr. Davenport came around to open my door for me. "I couldn't possibly intrude further."

"It's quite alright, we were coming into the city this evening anyway," Mr. Davenport said. "Please, call us if you need anything. You know our number."

I gave him a smile as he helped me from the back of the car. "Thank you."

I held tight to my bag and watched the Davenports drive off to their dinner, then I turned my attention to the diner. Heathra had mentioned it enough before that it wasn't hard to ask around about. It looked humble and a little rowdy. I could see why Heathra would come here, it was the kind of place Pa would find enjoyment from.

Taking a deep breath, I held my chin high and walked to the front door. A bell clanged overhead as I walked in, startling me for a moment as I got my bearings.

"Hey, Heather!" A teenager called to me from a booth near the juke box. Several people sat around him, all giving me a wave.

Heather?

"Oh." I blinked. "No I'm-"

"Watch out, doll." Someone behind me in the doorway was trying to come inside. Flustered, I hurried out of the way for a young man and his friends.

"Heather!" An old woman from the counter shouted. "Do you have time for dinner before the party?"

"Party?" I spun to look at the counter better. "I..."

"Heather!"

Suddenly, I found myself lifted in the air by a pair of big hands on my waist. I reeled from surprise as I was spun by a very tall, rather handsome man.

"Sorry, I didn't mean to startle you." He set me down, and when he smiled his eyes crinkled. His smile dazzled. His intense expression made my pulse quicken.

"I told you I'd come back for you. Are you ready, love?" He asked his question while taking one of my hands in his.

I was dumbstruck, until I realized what was going on.

"Ar...thur?" I asked.

He chuckled, warm and close as he pulled my hand along. "Devin sent me to get you for the party. Are you surprised?"

"Yes," I answered. I realized the moment I said it, that my chance to clear up the misunderstanding had passed. Did he think I was my sister? He must. And everyone here called her by a different name.

But it was painfully obvious to me that I was not my sister. So why did I go along with this man?

Maybe I wanted to find out more about the people who drew her away from me. Changed her. This Arthur was obviously the worst of them all, and it was worse than I feared. She was smitten with him, and he was clearly here for her heart!