Freeing Heathra

Heathra

December, 1948

I smoothed my dress down with my hands. It was a simple gray thing, but it made me feel like I looked good enough to attend a party. The simple mirror in my room above Mary and Samuel's garage was enough to show me I was as ready as I could be.

Taking in a deep breath, I sighed and nodded into the mirror.

"Okay, let's do this."

I left the room and walked outside and to the lot next door. The diner was busy with the dinner crowd when I walked in the front door. There was no sign of someone waiting for me yet. Devin said he'd send someone, and honestly I had hoped it might be Arthur but I didn't want to get my hopes too high either. I would just have to trust his promise that I'd see him tonight.

Looking over the diner, I didn't see Arthur, but I did see some distracting shimmers outside. I shook my head, my eyes had been playing tricks on me lately. Strange lights or colors would sometimes irritate the corner of my vision. All week it had been an irritation, and once I was settled in with Arthur I should probably see a doctor about it.

Rubbing my eyes, I walked over to wait at the counter when Mary turned from the kitchen window and spotted me.

"Heather! Did you change outfits?" she asked, surprise plain on her face.

"Well, I wasn't wearing this earlier today." I looked down at my dress. "Does it look strange?"

"No, no, I mean did you change just now?" Mary asked. "I thought you just left with Arthur wearing something else. But my mind is getting old, maybe it's playing tricks on me."

She chuckled to herself and turned around to pick up an order of milkshakes in the window.

I paled. My mouth went dry.

No.

She couldn't have.

But she must have.

I whirled around and bolted out the door. Heading straight for the garage, I yanked Pa's leather coat on and barely remembered to slip the helmet over my head before kicking the bike to life and zipping out of the driveway.

My heart pounded the whole way to the gallery. What could Viola possibly be doing here other than trying to mess up my new life? And how dare she pretend to be me!

The night was cold and miserably wet from the sloshy rain earlier. I should have been more careful on my motorcycle, but my head wasn't in a good place to care.

I pulled into the L'Atelier Rouge parking lot and yanked off my helmet as I walked up the steps. I pushed the doors open to see the scene that I knew in that moment would burn into my heart forever.

Viola swayed as she took panicked steps toward the door. Toward me.

"Pa!" Viola cried, her words slurring. "Pa, help me!"

And then, she sank to the floor. I watched in horror for a moment, before glaring up at Arthur who had obviously done something to her.

"Arthur, what have you done?"

My eyes met his, and I had to squint. My first real look into the room beyond Viola was bright. But the lights weren't the only things shining in my face, and I took a step back in shock.

Things, creatures stood around the room.

I shook my head, blinking. No, they were people in costumes. Some wore feathers, some had strange paints on their faces.