Awkward Silence

Today we had to learn how to dodge easily. I found myself five foot away from Alec while he threw tennis balls at me. Trying desperately to miss them, I reached fifteen and one hit me slap bang in the face. Alec ran to me as I fell on the floor.

"Are you ok? That was harder than my average shot?"

I nodded and stood brushing myself off. Even though my head hurt I didn't want to be annoying.

"I'm fine, I'm fine."

Alec backed off and yelled Krystal over. I sat down heavily on the bench with Leo and took a long, desperately-needed drink of water.

"Isn't Krystal just the most gorgeous girl you've ever seen?"

I laughed and watched as she clearly flirted with Alec flicking her hairs and sighing.

"She's pretty alright. But outside beauty isn't everything."

Leo shrugged and carried on staring at her totally love-struck. Sixteen year old Tristen was with Faith. They were doing target practice instead today because earlier Faith had tripped and twisted her ankle. Faith lifted the bow, but her aim was off and she couldn't hit the target. Tristen slowly and nervously edged over to her.

"May I?"

Faith stared blankly at him, then dreamily nodded.

"Lift it up a little."

He hesitantly put his arms round her shoulders and perfected her aim.

"Pull back, hold tight, release."

A bullseye.

"Wow! You're really good!"

Tristen smiled shyly and looked down to his feet as if ashamed of his skill.

"My Dad is an archer."

Faith giggled. As she turned to walk back over to me, she was still limping, so tripped over Tristen's boot. Tristen saw her and caught her just in time with one hand.

"That was close! Thanks!"

Tristen lopsidedly grinned and casually shrugged helping her get balanced properly on her feet.

"My big feet. I'm always tripping over them."

Faith smiled and bounced on her toes with her brown eyes sparkling.

"I like big feet."

You could see her innocent reply had swept Tristen off his feet. All these love birds, I felt awkward. Leo was called up next. He stopped Krystal on the way with a hand on her shoulder.

"Hey Krystal, do you want to go for a walk at sunset on the beach?"

Krystal smiled and removed his hand before resting hers on his shoulder.

"You're gonna make some girl really happy someday, but it's not me."

She wandered back to the bench and sat down beside me. Leo's face sank like a rock in water. Poor guy? I felt angry at her nastiness

"What's your problem?! All he wanted was to go for a walk?"

Krystal sighed and braided the ends of her hair before smiling back up to where long-faced Leo was practicing.

"I'm only here for one thing, and it is NOT Leo."

I huffed and followed her gaze to Alec. Rolling my eyes at her I leant on my hands with a sigh. Tomorrow wasn't coming quick enough...

<3 <3 <3