Chapter 7

The Morning After

I wake to the sound of light snoring near my ear. I turn my head to see Lewis' head thrown back and his mouth wide open. I turn back over to look at the clock, 6:48. I yawn, pulling the covers back up, adjusting my body comfortably, as Lewis unconscious snuggles back up to me and I close my eyes. Feeling the comfort of his skin, I immediately fall back to sleep.

Rubbing my hand over my face and eyes, I don't feel the warmth of anyone never me. I nudge my elbow back to find that Lewis is no longer there. The room door knob wiggles and I tense up until I see that it's Lewis. 'Duh, Lewis would have a key to his own room.'  Lewis enters holding two bags and drinks in a drink-holding tray.

"You're up." He says, shutting the door behind him. I sit up. "I have breakfast." He raises the bags, smiling. 

"Umm, morning." I wipe my eyes. "Officially," I say looking at the clock, 9:21. Lewis sets the bags on Justin's desk by the door and then goes to the center of the back of the room. He begins removing clothes and cups and plates from what I now see is a table, and slides it towards the bed by me. Going back to the desk, he grabs the food and places it on the table. Taking his chair from his desk, he puts it by the side of the table close to the bed.

I completely remove the blanket from over me and sit on top of them, moving closer to the table. He sits down in the chair, scooting it up, and starts going through the bags pulling food out. I lower one of my legs off the bed resting my foot on the bar under his chair, leaning my knee against his thigh, and folding my other leg to tuck it under my thigh.

"So what do we have?" I ask, looking at the wrapped food he's placed down.

"Well I didn't know what you liked so I just got small sizes of a lot of things." He takes the cups of drink out of the holder. There were five. "Apple juice, orange juice, cranberry juice, coffee, and tea." He points, "Take your pick."

"Umm, apple juice and tea please," I say and he slides them over to me.

"Now, I have a bacon & egg and a sausage & egg breakfast sandwich. Two breakfast burritos and french toast and pancakes." He opens the food as he says it.

"Wow, okay." I rub my chin.

"Don't tell me you're not hungry?" He lowers his shoulders.

"No, no. I was just thinking, what did you get for you?" I smile. "Cause I'm eating all of this." I grab the burrito first and take a big bite.

He smiles, then grabs a burrito too but before he bites he stops and stares at me for a moment as if he was trying to understand something. I give him a silly face to break the stare as I chew and he smiles and goes back to eating. I wonder what he was thinking. 

Lewis' thoughts

'Why is she so beautiful and so close but so out of reach? I just want to reach out and touch her heart and feel her skin against mine. But not at a friend feels a friend but as a lover. I love her. In this short time of knowing her, I love her. I love her smile, I love her laugh, I love her demanding personality, and I love that she knows what she wants and goes after it. I wish she wanted me too. I love that she knows I know her hurt but she doesn't make it known. Now I must shake these thoughts because as I sit here looking at her with her face full of food (by the way it's so cute) and her wearing my clothes (way better than me), she isn't thinking of me, at least in the way I'm thinking of her.

Early this morning was a torcher for me. How could she do that? Throwing her fear out for me to help her. Making me love her volubility. She just laid her body out for me to hold. Her sweet-smelling skin and the warmth of her body, and yet I had to focus on sleeping, oh she makes me so uneasy. I wonder if she felt my heart beating out of my chest. I must stop staring now, I did enough of that this morning as she slept. How peaceful she looked. I wonder if she knows that she twitches in her sleep, it's the cutest thing. I wish she wasn't with him. That guy I wish I knew. He's so lucky. He must not treat her right, I can see it in her eyes. But that's not my lane I am here, as a friend to her. Don't give her feelings. She just needs a friend.'