Chapter 9

Friends

It's been going on two months and I still don't get the reason why girls and boys couldn't be friends. Lewis and I are doing fine. We've been hanging out more and have grown closer; though we still have our secrets. He hasn't given me a reason to not believe we aren't working.

I have visited Arieya with him a few times, the nurses tell me he's been happier since I've been coming with him, it's been the fourth time. Scott and I are doing very well too. No outbursts of anger. He doesn't scare me anymore. I don't twitch with surprising acts, I told Lewis I was fine. I can handle two boys... And a Taira with her questions. 

"So that's all you need to know and you got it," I tell Arieya, writing the steps down in her workbook.

"Thanks." She smiles at me. "I overheard my doctor talking to my mom and I'm getting better. I might be getting out soon... So I want to be ready when I go to school again." She writes more. "Don't tell Lewis, I want it to be a surprise."

"You're secret is safe with me." I hug her. Looking up, I see Lewis through the windows out in the hallway talking to a female doctor in a long conversation. By the end of their conversations, they are hugging. He looks back at us and I put my focus back on Arieya.

"Hey." Lewis walks over after some time has gone by. "What are you guys doing?" He places his arms over me and Arieya's shoulders.

"Mena's helping me with my math." She takes his hand. "She's reeally smart."

"I'm okay." I stop her.

"Well Arie, I think she is too," Lewis tells her, I roll my eyes and go back to writing with Arieya. "Mena, you ready? I think it's about time to go."

"Go? Noooo Lew." Arieya turns her head to Lewis.

"Now Arieya, I stayed an extra 30 minutes just for you but now we have to go." He taps her nose.

"Oh Lewlew just a little longer please, I never see you, especially with college." She pouts. 

"Arie," Lewis sits by us. "You know I'd love to stay but really I have to go," Lewis explains.

"Okay. I understand." She wraps his arms around his neck. "Bye Lewis." 

"See you next time, remember?" He hugs her back.

"By the way..." Arieya whispers in his ear. "I like Mena." She lets go. "See ya, Mena." 

I give her a hug as I stand. "Are you going to see Ms. Anna before we go?" I ask Lewis.

"No. She'll understand." He puts his hands in his pockets. "We should get back."

"Oh okay." I brush it off.

-----

"I want to go on a date," Scott says pausing the television.

"We are, see. Movie date." I rub my hand against his. "We have these. Now push play."

"No." He turns his body so we're face to face. "A real date." He says looking me in the eyes.

"Why?" I question, cupping my hands around his face. "We can't just have this time."

"I want more," He pulls my fallen hair off my face. "I want this."

"Fine.." I release my breath, giving him a soft, quick kiss. "Let's do it."

"Yes." He smiles, kissing me back. "Now we can push play."

---

"Taira, I handled business," I say entering our room but jumping unknowing that Justin was here, sitting on her bed. "Oh, hey. Didn't know you were in here?"