A Piece Of Paper

Sitting next to Hermione's bed you quietly brushed through her lion's mane like hair when Harry and Ron came in just after Madam Pomfrey left. “We knew you'd be here.” Harry said lightly sitting on the corner of the bed while Ron absently picked up the mirror you had gotten Hermione.

Nodding with a small smile. “It's the least I can do, right? Hermione's  always telling me her hair is always causing her problems.” You said putting the brush down when Ron picked up Lockhart's Get Well card from the last time Hermione was here. “You don't think Lockhart could be the heir of Slytherin, do you?” He asked turning to the both of you and getting a curious raised brow from you and a “really?” Look from Harry. “Right. Forget I said it.” Ron muttered putting the card back down on the side table.

Shaking your head at the ginger boy you turned to Harry as he lightly held Hermione's hand.” Wish you were here, Hermione. We need you. Now more than ever…” He said running his thumb over Hermione's hand before pausing. Sitting up when you saw Harry pull something from her hand, you blinked when the Raven haired boy unraveled a piece of paper. “Hey what's that?” You asked watching Harry quickly stand and turned to leave. Glancing at Ron you to stood up from your spot next to Hermione and followed Harry with Ron close behind.

Walking next to Harry you looked at what he was holding. “Harry is that a book page? What does is say?” You asked moving to bring Harry's hands closer to read the paper.

“Of the many fearsome beasts that roam our land, none is more deadly than the Basilisk. Capable of living for hundreds of years, instant death awaits any who meet this giant serpent's eye. Spiders flee before it and only the crowing of the rooster can kill it.” You read tilting your head as you finished making Harry quickly stop to look closely at the torn book page.

“This is it! The monster in the Chamber of Secrets is a Basilisk. That's why I can hear it speak. It's a snake.” Harry said making you turn to him and inwardly cringe. “That's quite a leap, what makes you say that?” You asked curiously when Ron nodded silently agreeing with you.

“A basilisk kills by looking people in the eye, right. Why is it no one's dead then?” Ron asked making Harry hold his chin as he thought before muttering softly. “Because no one did look it in the eye. Not directly at least…Colin saw it through his camera. Justin, Justin must've seen the Basilisk through Nearly Headless Nick! Nick got the full blast of it, but he's a ghost he couldn't die again.”

Harry said going into a speed walk with you and Ron rushing after him as he continued to speak. “And Hermione had the mirror! I bet you anything she was using it to look round corners, in case it came along.” He said getting you to nod as you started to understand.

“And Mrs. Norris? I'm pretty sure she didn't have a camera or a mirror, Harry.” Ron said getting Harry to think again when you snapped your fingers when you thought of something suddenly. There was water on the floor remember? I fell and the back of my skirt ended up getting wet, so Miss’s Norris probably saw the basilisks reflection.” You said getting both boys to nod when Ron turned to you.

“If it is a Basilisk, how's is been getting around? A dirty great snake. Someone would have seen it slithering around.” Ron muttered getting Harry to show him the bottom of the page he was still holding. “Hermione answered that too.” He said getting you to see "Pipes" written in Hermione's hand writing.

“Pipes? It's using the plumbing.” Ron said looking at the wall as you grimace disgustedly muttering gross under your breath. When Harry stepped closer to you and Ron. “Remember what Aragog said? About that girl fifty years ago? She died in a bathroom. What if she never left.” He whispered making your eyes widen. “Moaning Myrtle!” You and Ron said at the same time making you turn to him saying jinx. Just as McGonagall's voice echoes throughout the castle halls making everyone look up.

“All students are to return to their house dormitories at once. All teachers to the second floor corridor. Immediately.” She said making the three of you look to each other. “We need to tell the teachers what's happening.” You said making both boys nod as the three of you turn to head up to second floor.

Getting to the second floor before the boys you showed to a stop at the corner when you saw the all the teachers were facing the wall, hearing the boys coming up behind you. You turn and waved putting a finger to your lips to quiet them down as they slowly came up to you.

“As you can see, the Heir of Slytherin has left another message. Our worst fear has been realized. A student has been taken by the monster. Into the Chamber itself. I'm afraid we shall have to send the students home. I'm afraid...this is the end of Hogwarts.” Professor McGonagall said solemly get the teachers around her to gasp.

Turning a worried and frightened look to Harry and Ron you turned back when you hear Lockharts cheary voice. “So sorry. Dozed off. What have I missed?” He asked making Snape turn to him. “Just the man. A girl has been snatched by the monster, Lockhart. Your moment has come at last.” He said getting Lockhart to pale a bit. “My m-moment?” He asked making you squint at his stutter.

“Weren't you saying just last night that you've known all along where the entrance to the Chamber of Secrets is?” Snape asked smugly watching Lockhart squirm slightly. “D-did I? I don't recall…” Lockhart said looking away from the potions teacher.

“That settles it. We'll leave it to you to deal with the monster, Gilderoy. Your skills, after all, are legend.” McGonagall said smiling at the blond as he nodded nervously. “V-very well. I'll, I'll be in my office, getting, getting ready.” Lockhart said turning away from the group of teachers to head to his office. ‘I dont like how he sounded just now.’ You thought scepticaly as you turned back to the teachers.

“The rest of us should go and inform the students what has happened.” McGonagall said nodding at everyone, when Pomfrey turned to the transfigurations professor. “Who is it the monster's taken, Minerva?” She asked getting a solem reply.

“Ginny Weasley.”

She said making you turn to Ron and hug him and apologise, just as the professors scatter, revealing what is written on the wall:

“Her skeleton will lie in the Chamber forever.” Ron muttered shaking just the slightest making you hug him tighter. “Don't worry if Lockhart is anything like in his books he’ll bring Ginny back.” You reassured turning the Harry. “We have to tell Lockhart about the Basilisk. The more he knows what he's going up against, the better chance there is in bringing Ginny back. You said getting a nod in return as your group headed to the DADA classroom.