Chapter 19

They pitched one great tent for all of them to shelter in. This was done in order to save time, for the storm had been almost upon them. It was also done because it would be easier to make sure that everyone was safe if they were all in the same tent. The tent was sealed on all sides and it soon became dark when the many grains of sand swirling around them obliterated the light of day.

They stayed in this necessary captivity for a while and were soon lulled into sleep by the insistent rhythmic sounds of the whirling sands. It was in a moment when the whole tent was still and even the children had subsided into silence when the voice came.

It sounded like the voice of the wind, yet they all knew that this storm was one of magic and contained no wind. They all heard it at once, but it was not a voice heard by the external physical ears, no. This voice spoke to them in their minds. It was utterly terrifying. The voice was hollow and lifeless but powerful. Other than that it was indescribable, its tone, texture, and timbre were things that the mind could not perceive, thus even if it were a known voice it would still be unrecognizable.

"I know who you are." said the voice. 

"I know your journey and I know what you carry. I know what lands you travel to and what you think your purpose is. I know all this because my powers have allowed me to look into the sands of time. The sands have shown me that you are mistaken. You believe your quest will be for the greatness of humanity. You are wrong. Your quest will only doom humanity. The secrets you carry are not meant for the world. The wrong knowledge could destroy the fragile minds of the people you claim to want to help. I urge you to turn back, destroy the texts, and never show them to another human being again. This must be done for the good of all mankind." Then the desert went silent. 

The bodies in the tent shook and stared at each other in half wonder and half fear. Who or what was that?! They all thought, and what happens if we disobey? They slept on this experience with the decision that they would awake to talk about it blanketing even their subconscious minds.

One thing was certain; they could not go back to the village between the desert and the sea. Failure would be reflected in the eyes of everyone they possibly met when they returned to the village. To go back to the village was to proclaim that they had failed each other. All who met there would know that their purpose has been taken, no not taken, abandoned by them who claimed it to begin with. It will have become a village of failure. It will never be the same again... it will never be the same again... 

The village was no longer a home worth coming back to. It was not something of greatness to return to, nothing of victory, and nothing that was worth having their parents die in the desert. Yet what would then become of them? Moreover, what of the secret texts? They all sat in the half-light of the departed storm, in the communal tent and in silence. Yet each knew what the other thought and none could bring themselves to speak.

Then something made itself clear in Umthunz'omnyama's being and she said:

"I believe we should all stop thinking like such for just a minute. Perhaps instead we should start to realise what we feel. We should listen to the whisperings of the ancestors in our souls. We should accord ourselves with the Gods that are one and hear what our will is..." the deep, rough solemn voice of Umthunz'omnyama tapered into silence.

There was a feeling of general agreement about her words within the silken tent that Tladi had woven for Umthunz'omnyama in which they all sat. There was a dramatic sigh that drew everyone's attention to a spot right in front of Umthunz'omnyama where sat The-red-eyed-mob. He paused to string out the suspense before he spoke.

"I believe..." he paused again and looked slowly around at the faces in the tent. He continued:

"I shall have to be brave enough to speak first." He exhaled slowly; there was a thick silence of tension in the tent. The-ever-dramatic-red-eyed-mob was doing nothing to ease the situation.

"I believe that our hearts are true. I believe that we travel in the path that the Gods have chosen for us! I believe that voice deceives us. I believe we should do as we see fit and wrestle with the consequences when they arrive!" 

The-red-eyed-mob was on his feet now, seemingly fuelled into action by his outspoken desires. He wished to get them all caught up in the frenzy of his feeling, his role now was one of the general motivating his defeated troops. This tedious and heartbreakingly necessary departure from a village that he loved had taken a new turn. It had become an adventure! Adventures were always filled with dramas, and that was definitely a place where The-red-eyed-mob wanted to be. He was famous for his inspiring speeches, Umthunz'omnyama noted that he would definitely not disappoint her this time; he was fulfilling his role perfectly. 

She restrained herself from smiling the small smile that The-red-eyed-mob always managed to make her produce. In such serious times and a smile like such could give people the wrong impression. She needed to be seen as one of them, her deeds needed to be pure. It was also to her credit that they were always backed up by a well-respected and loved figure of this small but powerful community. Umthunz'omnyama's schemes had succeeded in making sure that this group contained all the most powerful key players that her plan required. Even the innocent children would play a role. 

Whatever group had created the storm knew nothing about the force with which they reckoned. Umthunz'omnyama had seen fate open its jaws and yawn at her. Now that she had seen what lay in its mouth, she would make sure that it would never yawn at her again. She was through with the nobleness of allowing people to live their lives when you had the power to sway them the way the wind could easily sway grass. It was time to act. It was time to make the stars move in a way that favoured her.

Yet this did not mean that the actions had to appear to be her own. Appearances were an interesting thing; people were so concerned with the question of being or not being. Meanwhile the real question was to appear to be, or to truly be.