Chapter 2

RPOV
Two hours later we were packed an on our way to the airstrip.

"Mom, why did Liss call?"
"I don't know the details but your not safe out here anymore. She's summoned us back as a protection detail for you. She knows of your kills too."
"Mom, you know how lethal I am. I'm twelve but have two kills for each year of my life."
"I know baby girl. As I said, I don't have details."
"I love you Mommy. I'm ready for whatever comes."
"I love you to Mommy's Miracle."

"Will I ever meet Daddy?" That pulled at my heart. I hadn't seen him since he left to guard his old school.
"I don't know baby. I just don't know. You know what guardian duty does."
"I know mommy, I know. I know things didn't end well for you two."
"It's fine Adelai. It's not your fault. You're the best thing he ever gave me." I parked the car and she got out with me.
"Rose! You look amazing!" Eddie was waiting for me by the plane. He knew I had been pregnant- that's all. Adelai and I were always reassigned. The day I was out of hospital we had been sent to guard a Conta family and Eddie wasn't updated.
"You going to introduce us?" He teased.
"Eddie, meet my daughter Adelai Milaya Belikov. Adelai this is Eddie."

"Uncle Eddie? Mom's told me so much about you two and St Vlad's."
"Rose? How old is she?"
"Twelve. Just barely."
"Belikov? As in Guardian Dimitri Belikov? She's your old mentor's daughter?"
"Yup. My little miracle. Now don't I have a deadline from Her Majesty?"
"Yes." He got two other guardians to put our stuff in the plane while Eddie, Adelai and I boarded. We were in for a long flight from somewhere California to nowhere Pennsylvania.

Liss and her guardian fleet were waiting when we landed. When I recognised one I reflexively pushed Adelai behind me. It was Dimitri. By the look in his eyes he'd seen her. Or, well, at least seen me push a little someone behind me.

"Aunty Liss!" She squealed from behind me. "Mom! Let me go! You know what I'm capable of. Please. Let me out!"
"Adelai..." I couldn't argue with that pout and teary puppy eyes and damn her! She knew it. "Fine." I let her go.
"Adelai I believe?" Liss smiled.
"Your Majesty."
"Please call me Aunty Liss." She pulled my little girl into a bone crushing hug.
"Don't break her Liss!" I playfully warned.
"Get down here Rose!" She responded just as playfully. "Your turn!" She squeezed me in a hug. "She beautiful Rose." Lissa nodded to Adelai once releasing her grip on me.
"Of course Liss. She's mine." I turned to her, "Get in here you!" I laughed and pulled her to my other side.

"Adelai do you want to walk beside Guardian Belikov? Be a part of my guard for the day?" She turned to me "Rose, you realise you're unofficially on duty right now?" We started walking.
"Sure Aunty Liss." She fell into step with her unsuspecting dad and slipped into full guardian mode.
"She's so professional Rose" Liss smiled indulgently at Adelai.
"She has to be. She's mine. She's been raised in the field- with me to train her." Now it was my turn to smile indulgently at my daughter.
"She has proved lethal. What is her current count?"
"Twenty-four. She's killed twenty-four Strigoi since her ninth birthday. The Alchemists made sure they were recorded, in their records and on her neck. That's why her hair is so long and often French braided. She had to hide them from her human school."
"Last count I had was thirteen. That was eight months ago. She really has become a Strigoi target." Liss mused.
"She has. She's good but at twelve she can't afford to be a Strigoi target." It was sad but true.

"Guardian Belikov I can tell you want to break ranks. Adelai will you cover for him please?"
"Yes Your Majesty!" they sang in unison, causing my heart to race. She took over for her father who fell back into step with us.

"Lissa, Rose who is she? Why is she here? Why did she call you two Aunty Liss and Mom? What's going on?"
"Whoa Dimitri! Don't bombard me with questions!" I reverted to my old sarcasm.
"Rose," he warned.
"Comrade! You'll get answers. There's one question you didn't ask whose answer could tell you a lot." He got the hint.
"What's her name?"
"Adelai Milaya Belikov."
"Belikov? You mean she's my twelve year old daughter I didn't know I had?"
"Yes. Yours as much as mine."
"Lissa why is she here? I thought you were just summoning Rose."
"I actually summoned Adelai via Rose. She is lethal, dangerous and beautiful. She is also being targeted by Strigoi. I want her behind wards. That means Rose too."

"Adelai. Rose- she is amazing. How is she so advanced?"
"Well," I started, "for starters she's an amplified combination of us. Secondly, she was reared in the field. Where I was assigned she followed- learning the theory as we put into practice. Finally, I trained her- using all your techniques and lessons. Adelai what was Mommy's first lesson? "If you can fight..."?"
"Never hesitate!" she completes without losing focus on her job.
"And if you can't fight...?"
"Run!" Still not losing focus.
"She's twelve and she knows that?" Dimitri asked in awe. "Astounding."
"And executed it perfectly time and again. She was leaving her ninth birthday party when we were attacked. She had just earned and received her stake. She used it twice without hesitating that night. And twenty-two times since."
"Nine and staking? Had two kills? Why did you keep her in the field?"
"Yes, yes and because I had no choice- it was more dangerous to bring her back."
"Twenty-four kills before being a teenager? Rose! She's a child!" He cried. Already falling into worried dad mode.
"So was I when I started killing! You don't think I know she's a child?! You try fighting her! She's been kicking my ass for years! You have to remember why her parents are. She's a purebred. Lethal, dangerous, strong, fast, agile and powerful- she almost puts Strigoi abilities to shame."

"Adelai? Darling, how about you show me what you're capable of when I get off shift?" He asked our only too eager and talented daughter. He was in for a real shock.
"Belikov take today and tomorrow off- starting now- to get to know your daughter," Liss directed. Dimitri, Adelai and I peeled off as we reached the gym.