Kanata Kira

"Since we're on a roll," You say, "could you tell me about the rest of M4?"

"The only two I haven't mentioned were Nozomu Igarashi and Kanata Kira," the woman said. "Which one would you like to hear from first?"

"Um ... Kanata Kira, I guess," You say with a shrug.

"Alright then." The woman picks up another book and begins to read.

~~~~~

Kanata Kira, for someone with his personality, it was strange he got married so early in life. Kanata and Ako Saotome had courted for a few years after 2019, but no one could have dreamed they would get married so quickly. It was August 4th 2023.

No one could say why they got married so early, not even me. It was a guess that it was in their overflowing love for each other, but being two of the most reasonable of human beings, it didn't seem likely. So it's still one of life's mysteries.

But for whatever reason, the two were happy and lived happy for many years ... even with it's heart breaking moments.

Their First Child

It was November 22nd 2025 that Ako and Kanata announced they were expecting a child. The two were nervous and excited. Ako was mostly excited, since she loved children. Kanata was the one who was mostly nervous. You see, he wondered if he was fit to be a parent but didn't tell anyone. Not yet.

Febuary 3rd 2026, Ako and Kanata were driving home after a check up when Ako said she was feeling funny. The feeling only got worse, so Kanata turned the car around and back to the hospital.

Kanata waited for hours for the doctors and nurses to come and tell him what the case was. Finally a doctor came to him and told him that Ako was okay ... but they had lost the baby.

Kanata and Ako buried their child at a hidden spot in the beach. They didn't wish to burden themselves or others with such easy acsess to the grave. It was a reminder of what - or who - they had lost.

A week or two after the event, Kanata and Subaru were talking about the event together in privet. Kanata said how he saw this as a sign of him not meant for parenthood.

"You don't believe in signs, you believe in facts."   - Subaru Yuki

"Then maybe the fact stands I'm not a suited to be a father."   - Kanata Kira

"Come on, if you believed everything you thought then how would you get anywhere?"   - Subaru Yuki

Luna's Smile

December 22nd 2026, Kanata and Ako discovered that they were pregnant with a child. They were incredibly careful, making sure Ako was healthy so that the baby would be delivered safely. It was. September 25th 2027 Ako gave birth to a beautiful baby girl who they named Luna. Luna Kira.

"Kanata, do you want to hold her?"   - Ako Saotome

"I think I'll wait until I'm not as shaken."    - Kanata Kira

Kanata was afraid of the baby. After their last attempt of having a child had failed so horribly, he saw how delicate and fragile life was. On top of that, he was still unsure of his parenting abilities.

November 5th 2027 was when Ako figured him out. She told him to hold their daughter.

"Are you afraid of her?"   - Ako Saotome