Story's Epilogue

Story's Epilogue

The route leading through the desert, stopping at various oases that came up in perfect intervals for a full day of travel, was well worn and even. Construction had began to put stones down over the sand and make it a proper road with caretakers that would make sure it was never fully buried. A physical road would not only be easier to travel, but would offer the goddess a more secure path that she could use to travel to and from the ocean at her will.

Tegarama was massive city known for its artistic endeavors and the beauty of their creations, with vibrant dyes made from their desert flowers, and the plethora of performers that enjoyed venturing forth on the trade path from the desert jewel into Nerik and Sam'al beyond. The religiously devoted were beginning to make pilgrimages, following the path to the ocean and making offerings in the vast sea to their goddess. The young and the adventurous were eager to travel outward and see the unusual.

Nerik, for its part as a city of intellectuals and philosophers, was excited at the prospect of learning and documenting life in the desert, the history of Tegarama, and the new and interesting plant life that grew exclusively in their city. The exchange of culture, information, and tradition was rapid and exciting for those who valued knowledge.

And through the exchange of people, goods, and ideas, both countries were flourishing anew. None so much as the city that sat on the border of the kingdoms, through which the trade route cut, and who acted as a gateway from one country to another. The massive expansion of population, wealth, and trade turned what was once a military outpost town into a bustling, thriving city that had well expanded outside of its former borders and had become a blending of both cultures.

Through its rebirth, the city had been renamed Assur and a palace was currently under construction in the city center, built off of what was once the mayor's residence. It was currently only half completed, but the rooms that were finished were a wondrous blending of fountains, ferns, waterfalls, and trees that all mixed and merged together.

Construction had been rushed to make the royal suites livable in time for the gathering of the two royal lines from Tegarama and Nerik.

As the travel party from Tegarama stepped in through the Desert Gate, through which the path leading back to the desert city ran, the people from the city gathered and cheering. Their arrival marked the beginning of what people were saying was sure to be a glorious and lengthy tradition that would last for generations and assure peace and prosperity.

Somehow, it had already gotten out that the hero general from Tegarama intended to marry his newborn daughter to young Prince Juda and that the Nerik royal family was completely in agreement. Which would mean that these meetings would also be assuring the future legacy of Nerik - the country to which Assur officially belonged.

The babe in question was transported in her own palanquin carried by a team of strong men. It was heavily shaded and servants surrounded it to fan her as necessary. Though no one could see the child, they all cheered at her passing.

Waverly, seated on her own camel right near the baby's palanquin, grinned when she saw how loudly the people celebrated for her daughter.

Her joy was slightly mitigated by the knowledge that they were only cheering because they were certain she was to become their queen one day. Waverly didn't like that everyone was trying to fix her daughter up and yet she couldn't even roll over by herself yet.

She tried to push that thought back and focus only on the joy of reuniting with friends she hadn't seen in a year. She would deal with people trying to fix her infant up with her future husband later. She looked forward into the city, smiling to herself.