1

It was a beautiful June morning and Maggie was eager to get the chores done so she could go down to the lake and swim. She had already laid out her sisters cloths and helped a few of the other girls get dressed.  She now needed to help sweep out the stables and brush the horses and she would be free to enjoy the rest of her afternoon.  She was halfway down the path to the barn when she heard a crash come from one of the smaller guest houses.  She knew they were expecting company from the states but she didn't know they would be there so soon.  Another loud crash could be heard, followed by swearing as something flew out the window and landed at her feet. It was a shoe, A very nice looking shoe at that. 

Curiosity got the best of her as she picked up the shoe and headed towards the house. She had thought she had heard music a while ago and she wanted to see who it was that her father had rented the house to.  She had never wanted to see the other bands before but this one had been whispered about among the girls for a while now.  Shoe in hand She pushed her long wild black hair out of her face and went carefully to the open window. 

She had a clear view of their equipment and could see the tops of their heads as they grumbled at each other.  They were as handsome as the other girls had said, with sharp cheekbones and beautiful eyes.  The one sitting at a piano near the window turned to blow smoke out of it and the smoke made Maggie cough as it drifted into her face. They locked eyes for a moment and his grin was pure magic.

Blushing she clutched the shoe to her chest and pressed herself up against the cold stone of the cottage. She could either go to the door and hand over the shoe or run for the barn.  Her father had told them all not to bother the boys unless they had been sent for and everyone knew that you didn't disobey father unless you wanted the harshest of punishments.

" There's my shoe. " 

Maggie forced a smile as a tall lanky boy with spiky hair stuck his head out the door.  He was the lead singer and was clearly the owner of the shoe since it's twin was still on his left foot. He came out the door to take the shoe she offered him.

"  I'm sorry.  It landed in front of me. "   She stammered.

"  yeah, I threw it at Sebastian and he threw it out the window.  You didn't get hit did you? " 

"  No.  I really should be attending the horses. "   She kept her head down as she backed away from him.

"  You have horses! "   The boy who was at the piano was now sticking his head out the window.

"  A full stable, yes. "   Maggie felt her face burn. 

" Are you guys done? "  Sebastian was standing in the doorway with a stern look on his face.

"  You almost hit her with my shoe! "  Remington scowled at his brother.

"  I didn't know she was going to be lurking outside the house now did I. "   He came out to look down at her.  "   Your not one of the regular girls are you? "  

"  No. "   Maggie squirmed under his intense gaze.  "  I'm a handmaiden. 

"  A what? "   Emerson giggled getting a dirty look from Sebastian.

"  She's like an assistant.  Didn't know they still used that term anymore. " 

" May I go. "   Maggie dared to raise her eyes to the tallest brother. For some reason he made her want to show him that she was not just any handmaiden.

" Are you sure your OK. "  Remington went to touch her arm, making her flinch and drop her gaze again.

"  I need to go. "  

"  So go. "  Sebastian said as Remington went back inside the cottage.

 She could hear them arguing as she ran down path to the barn.  Her heart was pounding so loud she thought it might come crashing from her chest. She ran for her favorite horse, buried her face into his silky mane and tried to calm herself down.  The other girls would not be happy if she told them about this so she set to work in the barn, pushing it from her mind.  She wanted to get the chores done and go swimming before it got too hot.