Chapter Two: Jasmine

"Sometimes we only see how people are different from us, but if you look hard enough, you can see how much we're all alike." 

- Jasmine (Aladdin) 

Working with Halley, or for Halley he should say, was surprisingly easier than he imagine. 

Maybe it's because Louis enjoys the job; he loved working for her and getting to be around her. Or maybe it's because he just suddenly got so protective of this person he barely knew, though liked to pretend he did. Let's be real for a moment; no matter how much you admire someone or idolize a person, you don't know them. Zayn was right when he said Halley could be completely different in person than from the interviews Louis saw.

 What sucked was that Louis knew that, however he refused to believe it with Halley. He didn't see her being a person that faked her life. She seemed just as nice in person as she was in interviews. Just as sweet and dorky. Just as carefree and down to earth.

 Fine, so Louis has only worked with her for a day but he felt like it counted, okay? The first day was nice, though he was tired and passed out once he got home. He must admit, he never knew running errands could be so tiring. He's just been driving around, why did he get so tired? He will never understand how the human body works. 

His errands were rather simply, though it was considered a trial run. He just had to pick up Halley's cat, bring her to the building and get Halley's prescription or whatever medication she used. Then he had to drop off papers and such; nothing too crazy. He knew it would get more hectic when they actually have to travel. He was looking forward to that, though. The work was overall bearable, though that was an understatement. 

What stood out most from the day wasn't the work or even Halley, though. It was those bitchy friends. He still couldn't believe people could be so fake. He knew in the back of his mind that they existed, but it was insane how easily they turned on Halley. As soon as she left the room, they were talking shit. He's never met such fake people in his life. Perhaps he's good at keeping positive around, but it was just ridiculous to see such two-faced friends. 

He told Zayn about this and the boy sighed as he took a drink of his coffee, rubbing his sleepy eyes. "Dude, it happens." 

"I know, but it's not right," Louis huffed, tracing his finger around the rim of the cup. "Should I tell her?" 

"No, it's not your business," Zayn shrugged. "Why would she trust you anyways? She may assume you're trying to start drama. Just lay low and do your job, let's not get you into celebrity drama on your first week of working." 

Louis frowned, staring down at the table. "Well, if it was me, I would want someone to tell me if you were talking shit behind my back." 

"Then tell her."

 "But you just said not to," Louis deadpanned. 

Zayn groaned, rubbing his forehead. "Louis, it's 6AM! I don't have time for melodramatics." 

"Melodr—ugh, fine," Louis grumbled. "I just wanna do the right thing." 

"There is no right thing. It could end up like shit either way," Zayn explained. "Honesty seems like the best policy, but I can name more times people have been hurt by the truth than by a 'lie'. Like, it's not even a lie." 

Louis wanted to laugh. He always hated the 'it's not a lie, I just didn't tell you' excuse. It's such a shitty loophole that pisses him off. Like, how lazy can a person be to make that excuse? And that's coming from him, the guy who would easily take any escape route he can out of a confrontational moment. He hated fighting and arguing with people.