#8 Michael Clifford

The wind was crisp with a slight warmth to it. My boots crunching against the gravel beneath was the only thing to be heard as I walked through the parks. The leaves were turning brown which meant that it was becoming Autumn.

It was extremly cold today so I tightened my scarf and zipped up my coat, my breath clearly seen as I blew on my glove covered hands. My hair was gently being blown back along with my beanie so I pulled on my hood and tightened the strings.

I sat down on the grass and started to pick at it, something I had done since I was a child, when I heard soft whimpering and sniffles. I stood up and searched for the source of the noise until I discovered it.

Sitting down on the bench was a young girl, no older than six. Her blonde pigtails covered her face as she cried into her gloves. Looking around I saw that she was by herself so I bent down in front of her and placed a hand on her pink tight covered knee. She looked up at me, brown eyes puffy, flace flushed.

"Are you lost honey?" I asked.

"M-My cousin was with his friends and I wanted to go play on the swings. B-But when I looked back he had gone." she sniffled swiping at her nose.

"What's your name?"

"Maddie."

"Alright Maddie don't worry do you want to go look for your cousin?"

"Yeah."

"Alright. Come on then." I held out my hand and her little one grabbed a hold. We headed towards the local police station but I stopped at the corner shop that sat on the curb of the street. "So how old are you Maddie?"

"Five."

"Five? Wow you are a big girl."I said with a smile.

"Miss what's your name?"

"My name's ______"

"I like that name. ____?"

"Yeah."

"My cousin is going to find me right?"

"Of course sweetie. Do you want a sweet and drink?"

"Ooh yes please." We walked into the shop and I led her to the drink area. She chose her stuff and so did I, in the end she had a blackcurrant Ribena and a packet of Monster Munch. I had a Dr.Pepper and a packet of Extra. I paid so we entered the police station.

"____? Could you open my crisps please?"

"Yeah sure." I pulled them open and handed them back to her. She smiled and I picked her up, my items hanging on my wrist in a striped plastic bag.

"How could I help you?" the man asked. He was bald and had a polite smile on his face.

"Erm this little girl has lost her cousin?"

"Do you know their phone number?"

"No sorry."

"Go sit down and I will see what I can do." So we did.

The sky was beginning to darken and I yawned, Maddie was fast asleep on my knees and she looked knackered. We had been sitting here for over an hour and her cousin hadn't arrived. That idiot. I was slowly drifting off and my head started to droop but I tried to stay awake. But the door was slammed open and it made me wide awake. Standing at the door way was a boy, green hair tucked into a beanie,  green eyes that were filled with concern and a chisled face. He ran up to the counter.

"Oh my god. Have you seen a little girl she went missing?" his Australian accent filled the room and the policeman nodded towards me. I lightly patted Maddie and she stirred before rubbing her eyes.

"Is that your cousin?" I said pointing to him.

"Mikey!" she squealed before running towards him. He scooped her up and nuzzled his face into her kneck before looking over at me. He walked towards me.

"Thank you." he said pulling me into a hug. I was shocked but hugged anyways.

"Mikey. This is my new friend ____." Maddie said.

"______ hmm?"

"Yeah. I am guessing that you are Mikey right?"

"Michael but that's me. Now babe how can I repay you?" he asked with a smug smile on his face.

"Michael no. My _____." Maddie told him off before grabbing onto me, I giggled and then winked at him.

"It's fine honestly. Mikey. But your number would definitely suffice."