Twelve Clumps of Snow

Sophie Foster was not one to fall in love easily. She had never been love with Fitz. More infatuated.

With Keefe, it was different.

Keefe Sencen was the sweetest, funniest and honestly the bravest person she had ever met. He made her heart hurt in a different way than Fitz had.

Keefe Sencen didn't just make Sophie smile, he made her happy. He made her feel magical.

. . .

"Keefe!" Sophie called his name, seeing him approach Havenfield. He started running towards her, and she grinned, dashing to meet him. She hadn't seen him in over a week, which was unusual for them.

Normally, Sophie would say that sucked. This time, however, she insisted it was, "the worst thing ever," her words to Edaline on the subject. Specifically because over the past few years she had developed a rather large crush on Keefe. In the past few months, however, it had developed into love. She wouldn't tell anyone, because who would believe a sixteen year old elf could be in love? Very few, she suspected.

"Foster!" Keefe yelled, as he picked her up in an embrace, twirling her around. When he set her down, Sophie's cheeks were a bright, splotchy red.

"What, Foster, do you looove me too much to touch me? Was it the hair?" Keefe gestured to his perfectly styled blond hair. When she didn't reply, only looked at the ground, he paused. "How 'bout we go inside?" He said it gently this time. Taking her hand in his, he started walking towards her house.

Sophie thought her cheeks alone could melt the glaciers, no need for global warming anymore. Keefe was holding her hand. Keefe freaking Sencen was holding her hand.

"Sure." She said, for lack of having anything else to say. Of course she would go inside, she was walking there now. She was walking to her house while holding hands with Keefe.

"So, want do you want to do today?" Keefe stunned her out of her romantic frenzy of thoughts.

"I don't know..." Sophie shrugged, but then shivered. "It's so cold around here! In the forbidden cities, it would be snowing by now!"

Keefe looked at her, puzzled by her statement.

"Don't tell me you've never seen snow?" Keefe shook his head. Sometimes she forgot how little her elf friends knew about the human world. Then she smiled. "I think I know exactly what we're going to do today."

Dragging him across the yard and into the house Sophie yelled upstairs, "We're going out to hang for the rest of the day! Be back for dinner!"

As she was grabbing her allegedly illegal forbidden cities leaping crystal, she heard Grady call down, "Are you going with that boy?" Sophie sighed.

"Yes." She said, exasperated. Keefe held back a laugh. Sophie heard grumbling from upstairs, and was about to reply, defending Keefe.

"Alright," Edaline's voice drifted down to Sophie, "have fun!"

She took Keefe's hand and concentrated, jumping them to the forbidden cities.

. . .

When the pair arrived, it was snowing.

Sophie grinned, tilting her head back, trying to catch the snowflakes on her tongue, making Keefe laughed.

"Foster, what are you doing?"

"I'm catching snowflakes with my mouth! duh!" Sophie laughed. That made Keefe laugh.