Love, Keefe

The day after Foxfire finals, Sophie walked into school excitedly. Not only was she giving all of her friends presents, but this was the day she was going to tell Keefe how she felt about him. For about a year and a half she had liked Fitz, but then something had happened.

Suddenly, she couldn't get her mind off of Keefe, and when she saw him she smiled like a goofball and her stomach did gymnastics.

After a year of liking Keefe, Sophie had finally decided that it was time to tell him how she felt. Even though she didn't doubt he felt just about the opposite for her of what she felt for him, she had decided she had to take a chance and tell him anyways.

So after dropping off Biana's bracelet and giving Dex his present, Sophie headed back to her locker. Her cap was filled to the brim.

At the very top of the pile there was a small bo, one that looked like it would hold jewelry. On top of the box was written 'take the present first, then read the note ~ Keefe'.

When Sophie opened the box, she found a folded up sheet of paper with a necklace on top of it. The necklace had a black cord with skinny silver strips threaded around it. From the chord hung a heart-shaped ice blue stone -- almost exactly the color of Keefe's eyes.

Sophie carefully unfolded the note, the necklace clutched in her hands.

To be honest, she was a bit terrified to read the note. What if it wasn't what she hoped it was? What if it was?

Normally this was the kind of thing Biana would help her with, but Biana wasn't here right now, and Sophie was not willing to wait for her to get here. Still, Biana would know what to make of it -- especially if it was what Sophie hoped it was.

To save time, Sophie tried to put the necklace on. The operative word being tried. Her hands were almost shaking, and besides, she couldn't see the clasp to do it up anyways.

So she started to read.

Dear Sophie,

I know this probably isn't the best time to tell you this, and I know you probably still like Fitz, but I wouldn't be me if I didn't try. So here goes: I like you.