Night, Foster

When Sophie arrived at the Foxfire annual ball, her breath caught in her throat.

It had taken Biana, Linh and her a long time to get ready (granted, most of that had been because Biana insisted on putting makeup on them all). Sophie was wearing an emerald green dress that flowed to the floor and was tied with a teal ribbon in the middle. She felt beautiful.

The hall was beautiful, too. There were red and orange glass sculptures on every table circling the outskirts of the mahogany dance floor that spanned the majority of the hall. The ceiling was hung with thousands of fiery ribbons, and everybody there was wearing suits or gowns.

The girls were a bit late due to the aforementioned makeup debacle, and most of their classmates were already there.

Sophie found herself scanning the crowd for the one that made her heart flutter faster -- a certain Keefe Sencen.

"Looking for Keefe?" Biana asked, elbowing Sophie.

"Looking for Tam?" Sophie retorted. Biana blushed, but held her head up defiantly.

"Yes. I am." Biana said it like it was no big deal, but from the way Biana clutched to her skirts, Sophie knew it was.

"He'll be here," Sophie nudged Biana as they spotted him making his way towards them, "He likes you."

As Tam greeted Linh, Sophie turned her head away from Biana.

"And yeah." She mumbled it, but Biana heard anyways.

"Yeah what?"

"Yeah, I'm looking for Keefe."

"I know. You like him a lot, I can tell."

"You can tell?! Biana, what if he knows--" Sophie was cut off by Biana bursting into laughter.

"Sophie, you're kidding, right?"

Sophie frowned, shaking her head.

"Wow, you really are oblivious. Sophie, that boy has been in love with you since day one."

"No he hasn't! He only sees me as a friend --" Sophie was once again cut off, but this time by a voice from behind them.

"Hello. What's going on that's causing Keefe to stare over at you two?" Tam glanced at Biana with a look that, if Sophie didn't know better (and she didn't), she would call jealousy.

"I told you he likes you!" Biana nearly shouted it, and Sophie glared at her.

"Keefe? Sophie, Keefe loves you. How do you not see that?" Tam chuckled, "All the rest of us can. We all suffer from his insistent infatuation with you."

Biana laughed, looking up to smile at Tam, her eyes lingering on his a second longer than normal. Sophie playfully punched Tam's shoulder.

"Be quiet about Keefe for one night, would you? Besides, what do you have to worry about with him anyways, the girl you like has no feelings for him."

"Fine, if you're going to be grumpy about it, I'm going to dance with 'the girl I like,'" Tam extended his hand to Biana, giving her a smile. "Biana, if you will?"

Biana looked to Sophie for a moment, as if asking if Sophie would be fine on her own, and Sophie nodded.

"I would love to," Biana answered, and Tam took her hand, leading her to the dance floor where Linh was already dancing with Wylie.

"Foster," Keefe's voice reached her from a few feet away as he neared her, stopping short in front of her. A smile tugged at his lips as he looked her up and down, "You're beautiful."