Really, Really

Hi, guys!

So this is my Valentine's Day special! It's a human au, and I had a lot of fun writing it. Shout out to  Foster_699 for giving me the idea to do this; I hope you enjoy it!

As Keefe walked into school on the Valentine's day of his Senior year of high school, he tried to conceal his nervousness. He was rarely nervous -- or at least that's what everyone else thought - but today was the day he was going to tell the love of his life that he was in love with her. Hopefully she would requite it. 

...

When Sophie entered school on Valentine's day, she was practically shaking with how nervous and excited she was. Today she was going to tell Keefe she loved him. It was his senior year and her Junior year, so this was her last chance to make a romantic show on Valentine's day. She hoped he felt the same way.

...

"Hi," Keefe sucked in a breath when he bumped into Sophie. Not just because she was about a foot shorter than him, so her head had knocked the breath out of him when it slammed into his chest; also because of how beautiful she looked today. 

Keefe knew that she always looked gorgeous, but today was different. Sophie had on a cold shoulder red dress with a twirly bottom. And for the first time since the scandal about her last year, Sophie looked entirely happy. 

"Hi," Sophie just smiled at him, her eyes glistening with hope and love. "I've been meaning to talk to you. It's important."

"Me too," For the first time today, Keefe dared to let himself hope. "Do you want to talk at lunch?"

"No," Sophie immediately regretted answering so quickly. If she didn't tell him now, though, she was pretty sure she would spontaneously combust. She pulled him over to a small alcove in the hallway. 

"Sophie, what are you--" Keefe was silenced by her hands cupping his face. Well, okay, he wasn't silenced, per say, but he was so stunned that he stopped talking.

"I love you," Sophie's voice was quivering, but she had to go on, "I love you, and it's your last Valentine's day here, and I had to tell you. Because I really, really love --"

And then Keefe was kissing her. Her hand went into his hair and her heart felt like lighting. His hands were at her waist and cupping her cheek, and he could feel warmth coursing through him. everything was finite, and short, but at the same time it was infinite and the longest moment on earth. Keefe pulled back after an amount of time that neither would ever forget, that both were sure was millions of eons long; in reality, though, it had probably only been a minute. 

"I love you, too." 

Keefe slung his arm over Sophie's shoulder, and steered them back into the stream of their classmates.