Chapter 10

Mr. Erickson's eyes widen and Carter looks like he's about to be sick. He opens his mouth to say something, but I give him a look that says don't.

"I took the drug and didn't turn," I tell him.

The girl steps into view, she couldn't be much older than me. She's young long blonde hair pulled back behind her. She reminds me of a young version of Helen Hunt out of the movie Twister with her boots and white tank.

"That's impossible," the guy laughs.

"It's true," I tell him. "Tell them."

Carter shakes his head, I know he doesn't want me to do this but it's better me than them. I roll up the sleeve on my jacket and hold out my arm.

"I was bit about two hours ago. I get weird symptoms but I don't turn," I tell them.

The man steps forward examining my arm without touching it. He looks at the girl and then back at my arm. She comes over and checks it out herself.

"That's definitely a bite," she whispers.

"Just leave them be, please," I plead. "Take me and let them go," my lips quiver when my eyes meet Carter's.

He's shaking his head, eyes watering. I know I literally just got him back and now I'm willing to take that all away for this. This world isn't what it once was and I'm pretty sure dying is closer than ever, but if I can prevent that for this family for a little longer I will.

"Please," I say my voice cracks.

"Give us a minute," the guy says.

He takes the woman by the arm forcefully and they exit the room. Carter looks at me.

"Don't do this Alice," he says.

"You guys still have each other, you've already lost one because of me and I won't let that happen again. I've got no one, you have your family," I tell him.

"You have us," he says stepping forward.

I bite my lip trying to hold back tears that are forming. Part of me wishes I could go back to not remembering, I think it would hurt a lot less. I shake my head and feel them fall as Carter's hand swipes at my face. He pulls me into him holding me close, then kisses the top of my head.

"I have to do this," I whisper. "You deserve to live a life without having to worry that someone is after you. You have been chased for too long," I say.

He grabs both of my shoulders and forces me to look at him. His eyes are filling with more tears and it's making me cry harder. Figures we'd find each other only to be torn apart again.

"We'll find you okay? We'll make sure..."

"No," I shake my head. "Don't worry about me okay? I'll be okay," I tell him.

"Okay we'll take her," voices interrupt us.

I step away from Carter wiping tears. I look up at his face again hoping that if I lose my mind again at least maybe I'll have that to keep me going. The man grabs my arm hard and I yelp. Carter steps forward, but stops himself. She takes my other arm as the man goes to release Mr. Erickson. He strolls back over to me and shoves us towards the door. Just before I exit I look back at Carter who has a determined look on his face. I have a feeling he'll look for me, and I worry that it will be what kills him.

They tug me through the house whispering to each other. They open the front door but there's quite a few zombie's walking around. She hesitates, but he continues.