CLASSES

In every one of my classes I had to share a book, and except for Jenson, I could sense the others' irritation at it. Ready to separate myself from the rest and find Rhys when the lunch bell finally rang, I was one of the first to exit the classroom.

Rhys was already there, waiting for me. "How was it?"

"So far, Mr. Nelson was the only one to shred me free of my skin, but it was only minor, and his 'Welcome to Mannix High' greeting was stunning and angry."

Rhys chuckled. "Where do you want to go for lunch?"

"Your car. I need a break from all of ... them."

We started our way down the corridor through the throng of other students, but as we neared the doors, I heard someone call out, "Hey! Ashe, right?"

Amber was at the lockers with a heated stare. I didn't bother to answer, but continued to follow Rhys, hoping she wouldn't make what was already a questionable day, worse.

"Hey! I'm talking to you," she yelled.

I kept walking, eyes straight ahead.

"I saw you last night – in Cemetery Raven. You were looking at headstones. Weirdo!"

I stopped. Almost everyone in the corridor had fallen silent and I could feel their eyes on me.

"Ashe, let's just go," Rhys said quietly.

"Yeah, that's right. I saw you," Amber said loudly. "You were in there – alone! Only a creep would do that, a complete loser."

I turned slowly. Surrounded by her lemmings, Amber glowered, as if silently daring me to reply.

Struggling to keep my control so I wouldn't give her the much-deserved smack across the face that she needed, and sounding much calmer than I felt, I said, "You were following me? That makes you a stalker. Creep sounds pretty good in comparison."

The other students, who'd gathered because of her outburst, began to laugh.

Clearly upset by their reaction, Amber's blonde curls bounced with every step as she marched over to me and we stood toe to toe. Sharply, but with a lowered voice, she said between clenched teeth, "Listen, Ashe, you're new here. It would be best to remember I can destroy you with a snap of my fingers. Then no one will want to know you and you'll have no place to hang out – except Cemetery Raven!"

"Promise?"

With her eyes narrowed to slits, Amber snarled, "Troll!"

Casually, for the sake of emphasis, I said, "You know, from my experience, I've learned that girls like you all have one thing in common – you can't live without a crowd. Your insecurity won't let you. I mean, let's face it Amber ... without a crowd, you're nothing. That's why this demonstration ... your worshippers surrounding you ..." I took a step closer. "And that's why you're always bothering me, the new girl ... because deep down, you can't understand why I won't join the ranks of those with far less self-esteem than you. Well, I'll tell you why. I don't grovel at people's feet, and I never will, especially yours. So leave me alone and stop your games. I'm not interested in playing them."

Without another word, but with her eyes boring holes in me, Amber whipped around and stormed off.

"Come on, Ashe. Just drop it. With her, it's a losing situation," Rhys said.

"Take notice – she's the one who walked away. That means I won."

Though I'd put the school's loudmouthed prima donna in her place, attention-seeking wasn't my thing, and I didn't appreciate being the target of her tirade. Doing my best to pretend nothing had happened, even with the side-glances and whispering from the others, I continued down the corridor with Rhys.