PERSISTENCE

"So – she just asked you to hang out and ..." Rhys said.

"Be friends. Clearly, somewhere on me is the sign, 'Pity me, for I am friendless'. I told her I'd consider it just so she'd drop it. If I didn't know better, I'd swear my aunt had something to do with this."

"Amazing. I wish I could accidentally bump into someone and be offered something."

"Watch what you wish for," I said. "Speaking of which, here comes ..."

"Your new best friend," he mumbled as he leaned against his locker.

Katrina came over. Looking past me, she said cheerily, "Hi, Rhys."

I glanced at him over my shoulder. He gave her a small wave. "Hi, Katrina."

She looked back at me and said, "Ashe – so, some of us are going shopping this afternoon and I thought I'd ask you to come with. I can introduce you to some of the other girls and maybe you can join our club."

"Club?"

"Yeah. It's mainly for us, but we're friendly and not cliquish so anyone can join. It's informal, nothing that has to do with school. We sometimes volunteer around town, but we mainly just hang out and talk 'girl stuff'." She smiled broadly. "And, on Saturday nights we usually get together and do each other's hair, try out different styles, and paint each other's nails. It's a lot of fun." She looked at my hair. "Your hair's so pretty. Do you curl it?"

"Um, thanks. It's natural – but I can't this afternoon. I have plans."

"Then, later?"

"I'll have to let you know." Ready for a change of subject, I said, "I was wondering ... is there a guy at this school with a French accent?"

"'French Accent' guy again?" Rhys mumbled.

Katrina instantly perked up. "Not that I know of, but if you find him, point him out. I love foreign accents. Okay, let me know. Bye."

I watched her walk away and mumbled, "She reminds me of someone – oh yeah, a younger carbon copy of Aunt Karen. She's bubbly." I turned to look at Rhys. "Should I be worried?"

Rhys smiled. "She's always like that." He pushed away from the locker. "Let's go to the cafeteria."

"Isn't she your type?"

"Yeah. Why?"

"Ask her out."

"I can't."

"Why not, if you like her?"

"Because I'm hanging out with someone who's dark and morose now. The two wouldn't blend."

"I think they would. She said 'we' can be friends. Besides, with you there to distract her, I can get away a lot easier."

He chuckled and opened the cafeteria door. We started through when someone from behind said, "Ladies, first."

I turned and the guy smiled. "Remember me? First day – we shared a moment ... well, not really, but we shared a book."

"Jenson, right?"

"Absolutely. Good memory."

Taking a chance he'd have the answer to the topmost thing on my mind, I went for it. "Jenson, do you know of anyone, a guy, at this school who has a French accent?"

Rhys rolled his eyes. "Here we go again."

Looking amused, Jenson said to Rhys. "Ouch. Lost out to a French guy, huh?" He looked back at me. "No, and if he does, it's probably fake. But if I see him, I'll be sure to let him know you're asking around about him."