CHALLENGE

For the first time in a long time, waking up early was a chore. Once I got into bed, for most of the night, I switched between restless sleep, and lying awake, thinking about the warehouse and then ... about what Zil said. I refused to make too much out of it. He hadn't come straight out and said he had feelings for me, only that I got to him. He got to me, too. Without him, my ghost hunting might be limited, and ghost hunting was what I was most focused on. Anything more than that could prove too involved, especially if a relationship was started. Feelings ... between a mortal and an immortal – stupid and dangerous was more like it, because the break-up could end up badly – for me.

Still, in the short amount of time I'd known him, without realizing it, a friendship had formed, and that was more important to me. Boyfriends came and went. But friends, like Rhys, had staying power, and with Zil being eternal, his staying power would be much longer.

And I was okay with that.

I got up and went to my closet and picked out the clothes I'd wear for that day. On my way to the bathroom, I heard the doorbell ring. Knowing it would most likely be Rhys, there to pick me so we could leave for school, I went downstairs.

I peeked through the peephole and unlocked the door. Rhys walked in as I headed back upstairs. "I'll be right down."

"Good, because I was serious about you not ditching today," he called after me. "If I'm going to school, so are you."

I entered my bathroom and gazed into the mirror at my reflection. I was tired – and I looked it. Wishing I could stay home, not just to catch up on my sleep, but because I'd be more focused on the warehouse than on my classes, I dressed and headed back downstairs.

Rhys was still at the door. "What's wrong with you?"

"I didn't get a lot of sleep last night."

"Worried about tonight?"

"That – and ..." I paused.

"What?"

Wondering if I should tell him which of the warehouse entities he'd been involuntarily matched up with before we went later that night, I hesitated. Because he didn't know he hadn't been the one to choose to go to the warehouse, but that the choice had been made for him, compliments of Zaamee's mind trick, either choice could end badly.

Deciding to wait until I felt the time was right, I grabbed my backpack and house key. "Nothing. Let's go, we'll be late."

We went to his car and got in. As he started the engine, I asked, "Any last-minute doubts about tonight?"

"I wish it was already done and over with."

"It will be, but we have to get through it first."

With his brow creased, Rhys turned to me. 'That's the part I'm worried about – getting through it. What if we don't?"

"We will."

"Can you promise that?"

I couldn't, and we both knew it.

He pulled away from the curb and we rode to school in silence.

When we arrived, Rhys pulled into the parking lot and parked where he always did. He shut off the engine, but instead of getting out, he sat there, staring blindly out the front window. "This is going to be huge, isn't it?"

I didn't want to scare him, but I wouldn't lie to him, either. "Yeah. It is."

"Do you have everything ready for tonight?"

"I do. After you left, I checked over the equipment again. No malfunctions. It's ready."

Rhys sighed heavily. "I just hope we are."