FINISH IT

I stopped a few feet from the warehouse door.

Along the way, I hadn't seen either Zil or Zaamee, and neither was outside. Suspecting they were already in there, I tried to prepare myself for going back into hostile territory.

I started for the door.

"It knows you are here."

I exhaled sharply. Zil was behind me, his hands in his front pants' pockets. His odd eyes glinted in the moonlight. "Why are you not still cleansing?"

"I'm cleansed."

An eyebrow rose. "Are you?"

"Never mind that! That was unfair, you sneak! You left me behind to do the hunt without me."

"No, we did not. I heard your thoughts and came here to see if you would actually risk putting aside your protection from possession, and you did. Ashe, you are not strong enough to face that evil alone."

"What do you mean 'possession'?"

"Being overtaken by the ghost."

The thought of that happening frightened me, but I refused to show it. "No – you're not talking me out of this! If you're so concerned about protection, then you go and sit in the sage smoke! I got out of it what I needed, and I plan to go inside – right now!"

"That is where you are wrong." He took a step closer to me. "What were you thinking? You are only mortal. Do you really believe you can defend yourself against a formidable opponent such as that – defenseless one?"

My teeth clenched. "I'm not defenseless!"

Zil's only answer was silence.

I marched up to him. "Then, change me. Make me into what you are and I won't be defenseless!" I stopped myself from saying more. While I did want more involvement with the Underground, with the guarantee that I wouldn't be harmed by any of them, it didn't stop me from thinking my tongue should be cut out for saying something so impulsive and stupid – because the desire for more involvement didn't mean I wanted to become a permanent fixture.

Zil's arrogance melted. "No."

Pretending victory over his obvious self-control, I started past him to the warehouse. "I knew you'd back down."

Eyes flashing, he caught me by my arm and turned me to face him. "You do not know what you are asking! I cannot and will not do it!" He released me. Then, seemingly calmer, he said, "Please, do not say that again."

He took a few steps back and turned slightly from me.

At a loss for what to do, I looked down and saw something on the ground, shining in the moonlight. I looked closer – a piece of glass. I glanced at Zil ... he was still brooding. Despite his promise of protection, and adamant refusal to make me into a vampire, I'd take the risk. I scooped it up, straightened, and holding my breath, I balled my fist ... and squeezed.

Remarkably, there was almost no pain when it sliced my flesh.

I opened my palm. Blood started to come.

Watching closely for his reaction, I held my arm straight out to where he could easily see it, fingers splayed. The sticky, red fluid began to flow over the sides of my hand and spill to the ground, creating a soft, rhythmic pitter-patter noise, the only sound to break the stillness.

Zil gradually turned, his gaze riveted.

Ignoring how my heart pounded, I looked at my wound. "Tell me now what you want. Defy this, the thing you most desire, Zil, and keep me from having what I want – to take on that ghost with the strength of an Underground being." I looked back up at him slowly. "Can you?"