Prologue

Wishes Do Come True...

Prologue

Victoria’s house is coming into view. Finally! I grab my overnight bag out from underneath my seat and hoist it onto my lap. Victoria said she had a new friend who was also spending the night, and I couldn’t wait to meet her. My mom pulls our red Grand Caravan into the gravel driveway of my best friend’s house and I unbuckle my seatbelt as fast as my hands allow. Nothing is going to stop me from having an awesome time at Victoria’s house, absolutely nothing!

I exchange goodbyes from my mom, dad, two brothers, and 18-month old sister- who starts to cry as soon as I open the door to go- and jump out of the van. I wave as they drive off in a flurry of dust clouds cause by the gravel and dirt driveway. The rays of sunlight pouring through the small spaces in between the tall trees in the yard delight me as I spin around and walk to the porch. I mount the two steps quickly and knock on the door. When no one answers I think about knocking again but soon a tall girl with long black hair and bangs that fell in front of her eyes stepped slung open the door and screamed. I jumped back, surprised by her shout.

“I got you that time!” she laughs. I smile; Victoria is always trying to scare me, to prove that she can out scare me in anything. But I have her beat by a lot since I don’t scare easily. She lets me in, laughing all the while.

“Yeah, you did,” I say to her, an evil grin creeps onto my face, “But I’ll get you back!”

“Yeah right!” she says as we walk to her bedroom, she stops in front of me at her door. “Wait.”

I nod and she walks into her room and props the door closed behind her, I hear soft talking an then giggling. The friend she told me about is already here, I was hoping to beat her to it but oh well.

“Okay, Elizabeth, come on in!” Victoria shouts form behind her closed door. I set my duffle bag on the carpeting outside her room and slowly open the door, prepared to take on whatever prank she has for me this time. Once the door is open I catch a small black puppy in my arms. The fuzz ball starts to lick my chin and wag its small tail.

“Aw… so cute,” I say, petting the tiny creature. “Whose puppy is it?”

“Mine,” an unfamiliar voice says. I turn to see a girl about my age sitting on the bed not 5 feet from where I stand. “Her name is Hinata.”

“Like from the anime Naruto?” I sit next to her and Victoria pops out from behind her bed.

Uh- boo!” she says strangely.

“Uh…” I giggle at her attempt to scare me.

“Yeah… that didn’t work as planned…” she sits next to us. I look the girl over, short raven colored hair down to her shoulders is combed perfectly- not a hair out of place and her dark colored eyes that were almost black have a mysterious look about them. She looks so much like... no don’t even think that, they’re not real.

“Hi,” she sticks her hand out. “My name is Kaida, what is yours?”

I shake her hand, “My name is Elizabeth.”

“And I am Victoria,” Victoria laughs. “But Kaida here actually did name her dog after the pink-haired ninja.”

“Really?” I look at Kaida, she nods and smiles. “Did you dye your hair to look like Sasuke’s?”

“No,” she giggles. “It’s natural.”

“You’re lucky,” I compliment.

“Thanks, everyone who knows about Naruto has told me that I looked like Sasu,” she says.

“I can tell why that’s for sure!” I agree.

“I said the same thing,” Victoria says. I nod at her and hand Kaida the puppy.

“Did you tell her my secret?” Kaida turns to Victoria.

“No not yet, I didn’t think she would believe me,” she shook her head.

“Oh,” Kaida turns to me, “Do you believe that wishes can come true?”