18: Ra Sees All

IMSET 

The sun rose to its highest peak as noon dawned on all of Egypt. I could tell that there was something different in the atmosphere, the cold breeze began to blow through the deserts, creating sandstorms that have done nothing good for the travelling caravans of my people. The past few days were humid and disgusting, the sun scoured the Earth and punished all creatures inside it, the dead and the living. But today, the warmth was gentle and subtle as the breeze from the Nile pushed the heat away from the dry surface of the kingdom.

The old sun's fury was endurable and although the breeze is enjoyable and appreciated, I knew better than to believe this was ordinary. I am no fool, no, I may not be a God but I am known for my cunning wisdom. And from what the world looks like today, it seems someone pushed through the worlds of the living and the dead, the balance of nature's scales have been tipped. I had my suspicions, but there is no good in simply creating my own theories, at least not today. I have a different agenda, to visit a certain great grandfather of mine, and I cannot go there without my father's wings. But first, I need to find a way to convince him to help me.

I may be a cruel king, but I was not a cruel son. Nilea does not count; what I did to her, she deserved. It was foolish of me to kill her of all people, if I had sent anyone else to the realm of the dead, for they will not make it back alive, whereas she can. I suspect she already has. I do not blame her, she is brilliantly in love with a man who cannot even stay away from her, regardless of how much danger they put everyone in. The Greek God must have saved her, no one from Egypt can and no one from his world would. I could not care less if he had in fact pulled her back into the land of the living. Regardless, they were the least of my problems until she had crossed paths with me. My baby sister knows nothing of my agenda and I do not know why or how she is back, it's a fair game. When we meet, we can declare war, but for now, she is not an issue for me.

"Imset." Esphion called out from behind me. I turned around, she stood in the doorway, in a gold dress that made no effort to cover or hide her beauty. I watched her silently as she walked towards me, a golden chalice in hand, the red within glided from one side to the other. "Drink before you go." She instructed in a gentle tone. I knew she was strong, but ultimately she was scared of who I had become and what I could do. The woman I loved watched me take my own sister's death, I do not blame her for being too careful around me. I pushed a wedge between us and maybe it was not for the brightest reasons but it was indeed for the most selfish ones.

"Hmm." I hummed, accepting the glass as I downed its content as quickly as I could. I must have looked thirsty, but I did not feel it. Food and drinks were a different problem, but still a problem. I could not crave it but as soon as it touched my tongue, I was capable of consuming whatever I wanted in seconds, much like a monster. Perhaps I was becoming one, I will never know for sure, not unless I meet the Sun God, Ra.

"Where are you going?" She asked, her voice scared and concerned as ever. I could tell, she was afraid that asking questions I once happily answered could cost her her own pretty little head. I wanted to reassure her that I would never hurt her, but what good does letting one scared person know that they are yours do? I knew she was still loyal to her morality and I was breaking every rule we both deemed honourable, perhaps she would take advantage of my love for her, I could not risk it. On other occasions, I simply ignored her for not wanting to let her know everything. There is a reason for why this was happening, and letting her know before everyone else was not my plan, for the obvious reason that I did not want anyone to know.

But I loved her and I knew I was already pushing her away. I was scared to lose her, so I told her the truth, vaguely. "I am going to take my father on a trip to meet our ancestors." I replied with a distant and stern tone, hoping my response satisfied her enough or scared her from asking anymore questions. The woman you love will always come back to you, right? Especially, if what you have is the strongest form of love?