5. Eden - I

"The days are shorter now."

"Winter awaits."

-- Dayton, Surface -- 2015 --

Reyna hugged herself, pulling down the dull maroon sleeves as far as they went. "So, Blake Dayton huh?"

"Yeah?"

"This place, it's called Dayton right? So what, do you like own this land or something?" she asked. She couldn't live off rumours forever after all.

"No, It's named after Alex Dayton. Thought you would've heard by now," Blake replied blankly.

"Is he your ...."

"No."

"Okay," she replied, seeing that the conversation was going nowhere. The guy seemed pretty wound up anyway.

A chill ran down her spine as the freezing weather nipped at her skin. Nothing seemed to work against the weather. "I hate this goddamn season."

The skies glimmered in a pale crimson, the frigid winter air now stagnant as the pack treaded their way through the abandoned lands. Frost lined the weeds that popped out of every nook and corner, covering the streets in sparkling vermillion as the scarlet rays of sunlight danced off frozen crystals of ice. The serenity of the surface in winter was something beyond praise, yet in never once failed to drive the campers sick. The aura of red often brought up nightmares, most of them being filled with the blood of people they once loved dearly.

Thank god it isn't snowing already, Reyna's mind reeled, trying desperately to drive away those vicious thoughts.

"It's not that bad Rey," said Claire, walking beside her. She was clad in her usual full sleeved black tee and skinny cardamom jeans, an outfit that pretty much summed up the appearance of nearly all the campers from Harrington. Many people would mistake it for some sort of uniform if it weren't for their sweaters. In truth, it was just that one day they'd been lucky enough to find a truck filled with these crashed on the highway. Besides, people weren't very picky when it came to clothes these days.

"It'll take some getting used to," Claire said with a drawn-out sigh.

"The snow's pretty fun too!" Mark chimed in, spreading his usual cheerfulness.

"No it isn't," Blake cut in, surprising almost everyone in the pack.

So he can talk......

"You've been to the surface when it was snowing?" Reyna asked, pretty surprised at his reaction.

"Why not?"

"Isn't it full of Darks out here in the winter?"

"Who the hell told you that?" Mark guffawed, laughing breathless at Reyna who was already red with embarrassment.

"That's just something parents say to keep their kids out of the cold," Blake replied, smiling lightly. The trick worked well with Beth even now.

For a moment, everyone was dead silent. Blake turned around to see if something had gone wrong, but nothing seemed to be out of place. The whole pack stood still, exchanging uneasy looks, a few gazing at Reyna for some sort of reaction. However, she simply walked on, her face devoid of expression.

What just happened? thought Blake, his face as impassive as ever.

The pack let loose a sigh, then continued to walk. Claire placed a firm hand on his shoulder, giving him a soft gaze.

"Easy on the words kid."

"Sure," he replied absentmindedly, turning around to see Reyna who walked on ahead as if nothing had ever happened.