22. Back From the Dead

"..... and there was this huge monster, and I screamed really loud, and then - "

"Mommy came didn't she?"

"Yeah and............. wait. She opened her eyes. Claire! She woke up!"

-- ??? -- 2016 --

The voices ringed and echoed in her ears as Reyna came to. Her vision was hazy, blurry sketches of two people sitting beside her gently phasing through her mind. Her eyes were regaining sharpness by the second, the image gradually becoming clearer.

A brunette walked up to her, placing a palm on her forehead. She had blue eyes, and a face so beautiful she could've been a living doll. "Are you okay?" her voice chimed, spreading in ripples through Reyna's dazed consciousness.

Who is this girl?

The piercing blue eyes reminded her of a person who had always roused suspicion in her heart.

She looks like, Sarah?

"You should call Mom," another voice echoed.

"Okay!" exclaimed the sapphire-eyed doll, bolting out of the room.

"Who... are you?" Reyna croaked, her voice rasp from fatigue. She tried raising her hand, but as soon as it came into view, her body froze.

The arm was covered in stitches, skin dangling loose from her bones. Her pale complexion had given way to a lifeless grey, and strength she'd toned over the years had now been reduced to an unrecognisable mass of glob that clung to her frame. Reyna looked at her wounds again, the arm trembling as she kept it raised. It was then that a sudden wave of realisation hit her.

The stitches had faded, a very long time ago.

"H- How long was I in here? HOW LONG HAS IT BEEN!"

Reyna felt her heart clench with fear. A wave of suffocation passed through her chest, wrenching it from within as she felt herself struggle for air.

Her fingers grabbed the sheets in desperation, threatening to rip it off whatever she was laid down on all this while. For a moment, she could hear her mother crying beside her, the flashes of guilt and self-loathing that had possessed her frail mind once slowly breaking free of their chains.

"Four months," answered a voice, knocking the air back into her chest. Reyna pushed herself back to the headboard of her hospital bed, wheezing as she felt the sudden wave of panic gradually subside.

Claire turned around, her eyes now facing the door. "Where's Sarah?"

"She was busy," answered the stranger.

"I'll leave you to it then."

The banter around her continued as Reyna's eyes slowly gained focus. The boy at the door was wearing a black jacket, water dripping from his clothes. His black hair was plastered to his muddy face, covering one of his dark, crimson eyes. The boy's lips had curled up to a subtle smile, a rare sight if her guess was right.

"Blake?" she muttered, her voice coming out as a barely audible whisper.

"It's been a while, Rey."

It was the first time he called her that.

ԭ Բ Գ Դ Ԩ Ԫ Ԯ Ԭ Ü ß ԗ Թ Ֆ Ք

Maybe it was the feeling of familiarity.

Or maybe it was just the ease of being with him alone.

Either way, all her delusions of fear and panic had vanished into the spirit scented air.

"So, Carlisle huh?" asked Reyna, munching down on a snack bar she snatched from Blake as soon as he sat next to her. "This is freakin' awesome. Who makes these?"