Chap 4

I am abso-fudging-lutly freaking out right now. My heart is pounding and my face is constantly hot. Some of my worry must have shown on my face, as Misaki's smile dropped.

"What is wrong, [y/n]?" She asked me.

"No-nothing! I'm fine. I'm fine. I guess I'm just too excited about the festival tomorrow." I lied quickly. The truth is, I am terrified that the first impression that I made will be ruined by that uniform. But, I keep telling myself I will be fine. That I am just freaking out over nothing. I take a deep breath when my heart starts racing. 

My class decided on an Alice in Wonderland café, well, a suggestion by me, and then approved by the boys. The decor is like the dining table at the Mad Hatter scene. Paper tea cups are strung in mid air above the tables. The table cloths are playing cards. We set Papier-mâché mushrooms on each table. There was even a suggestion to sell cookies with little papers saying "eat me".

The decor is amazing so far. With the help from the boys, our class might be a big hit. A group of students stand near the front sewing the costumes. I stand in the back and add the finishing touches to the kitchen. 

"Wow, this looks great!" I hear Misaki say. I turn around and see Misaki standing in the door. She walks through the room, admiring every detail we put into it. "[Y/n], this was an amazing suggestion!" 

"Thanks," I smile. "Tomorrow, would you like to help us?"

"If I find time, I'll make sure to stop by." She answers and returns the friendly smile. I love that smile. It seems to light up the room. My gaze shifts past her and I see Usui looking at us. I tense up at his gaze until he turns around at someone talking to him. "[Y/n]," Misaki repeats.

I snap back to reality. "I'm sorry. I spaced out." I apologize. Ugh. Why is he so intimidating? 

~

"Welcome to Spiced Chai Café," I bow to the customers. I take their orders, make their coffee, and send the cups for Karasu to take. I sigh heavily. 1500 times four is 6000. I open my eyes as I hear the bell ring again. "Welcome to Spiced Chai Café," I bow. When I look up, I freeze again. "Usui?! What are-- what did you come back here for?" 

"I'd like a vanilla latte," he answered in the most casual way. I type it into the iPad, pressing my fingers on the touch screen harder than necessary. "Coming right up. That's five hundred yen." I say and take his cash. He takes a seat and watches me as I make his cup of coffee. 

Why? Why would one cup of coffee take an hour to drink? The entire time, he just stares at me. I am starting to hate this uniform's low cut more and more. 

He leaves. Thank god. I repeat the equations in my head for the remaining half hour of my shift. I walk outside to the ally carrying the trash. Good. He's not here. I throw the bag into the bin and give a long, exasperated sigh. Twenty-four hours ago, Usui found me here. My chest feels heavy again with exhaustion. I'm so hungry. I haven't eaten since lunch.

"Would you look at that," I heard someone say. I look up and my heart drops. It's the three boys from a week ago. The same ones that cornered me during my cleaning.

"Well, if it isn't the transfer." One said and leaned closer toward me. "You look even cuter in that outfit. Gosh I have got to take a pic." They get out their cellphones. Oh no. One grabs ahold of my wrist again. I try and pull away but I can't move.

"This is rich. We've got to call everyone up."

"I don't think so," I hear a familiar voice. I look up and see Usui, staring daggers at the three boys. "I'd appreciate it if we keep this a secret." He says. What the hell? Why is he helping me? The boys walk away and leave us. I feel so faint. Curse this.

"Are you okay? [Y/n]?" I hear him say. "[Y/n]!"

"Huh?" I look up with tired eyes. "I'm fine. Let me go, my shift is over." He actually does as I say and lets me walk back in the building. I change and take my bag back, leaving the café. As expected, Usui stayed by the door, waiting for me.

"[Y/n], are you going to be okay?" He says as I stumble in the door way. 

"Yes. I'm fine." I say, agitated. I don't need help. I've never needed help. And I will never need any help. Especially from Usui.

"You haven't eaten yet, have you." He asked me rhetorically. I gasp, startled, as he takes my hand.

"What? Let go! Where are we going?" I ask him as he drags me in the opposite direction of my apartment. He doesn't answer.

He ends up dragging me to a restaurant.  "What would you like?" He asks me.

"I don't need any help. I can just go home and--"

"No. [Y/n]." He takes my hand and forces me to take a seat again. I give up. Fine. I admit it. I'm starving.

"As long as you're paying." I say and look at the menu. He smiles and doesn't take his eyes off of me as my own search the menu. "I'll take an order of [favorite noodle dish]." I tell the waiter. 

"Yes ma'am. Coming right up." He says and walks off. I rest my head on the palm of my hand and stare at the window. I watch the cars go by and the people walk side by side, talking about who knows what. The melody of my favorite sad song echoes in my head. I slightly sway myself side by side as the lyrics play in my thoughts. 

"You're food, madam." The waiter says and places the plate in front me. I take the chop sticks and start eating. I pause after my third bite and look up.

"What? You didn't order anything?" I ask Usui in a monotone. 

No answer. Typical. "Shouldn't you call your parents? Tell them you're coming home late?" He asks me.

"No use in that," I say. "I live alone." I see Usui stiffen, but I don't care. Right now, I have a heck-off attitude and a huge appetite. I eat in silence and finish the plate, sitting back in my seat, satisfied.  

"Do you want to order anything else?" He asks me.

"No, that was enough." I say, and then hesitate. "Thank you... Usui. How can I... repay you for this?" He smiles.

"A kiss?"

"What?!" I look him dead in the eyes.

"Just joking," He laughs. "My my, you are so jumpy, [y/n]. You don't need to repay me." I let go of the tension that was just built and return my gaze to the window. 

Usui pays and we both leave. "You already helped me enough, Usui. I can walk home by myself." I say. 

He leaves me alone, and lets me walk home to where I go promptly to my kitchen, make myself a cup of coffee, and study. I sway side to side, listening to the music on my phone and humming along. 

It's okay. I had a little trip up today, but it won't happen again. My goal is to get a scholarship for a good college to get a better job. In order to do that, I need to be top of my class. Which means I need to work harder than Usui, and Misaki. Oh, boy. I hate competition, but this is the only path to start a decent life.

My goal is to work as a [insert occupation here] and move into a house. A house that I buy with the money I earned. Sounds like a good future to me. I just need to keep my head up. Tomorrow is the festival. That's one thing to look forward to.