Chapter 5: Number One

Hi everyone! Thanks for reading! I'm back with another chapter. I want to give a thank you shout out to vackerfamily and jessicaahn34 for voting. Moewmeowkittycat100, Sofitz1, Annemarie1006, and AoBNHA for adding this fanfiction to their reading lists. 21bmadi, Kitty6158561322, and valla123 for their amazingly supportive comments. You guys are amazing and you make my day!😁😘

Sophie quickly tugged out an eyelash.

"Hi." Ariana carelessly replied, raising her delicate eyebrow, "So you're the girl who was raised by humans."

Sophie wasn't sure what to say. Luckily Breena saved her the trouble.

"I was so excited when I got the scroll. I am in the Second Contenders!"

"I was in the Top Tier!" Ariana bragged, tossing her hair, "Number fifteen!"

"I am in the Top Tier, number two!" Linh squealed.

"What are you in?" Roselle asked Sophie.

"Top Tier." She responded quietly.

"What number?" Ariana probed.

"One." Sophie whispered, feeling nervous.

"What did you say?" Ariana asked.

"One." Sophie replied louder.

Ariana blinked in astonishment, "One?! You are his number one match!"

Sophie nodded, feeling self conscious.

Linh stared at her. "I thought. . ." She trailed off softly.

Linh spun around and walked away, leaving Sophie with Ariana, Breena, Roselle, and Mirrian. Sophie watched Linh leave, feeling confused. As she turned back, she noticed Ariana had turned from staring to glaring, but she stopped and smiled when she noticed Sophie looking. Sophie had a feeling she had just become the most hated girl in the room. She saw Linh whispering to some other girls on the far side of the room. Sophie walked over to the snack table, her teal dress swishing against the gold marble floor, leaving Ariana talking to Roselle, Breena, and Mirrian.

Sophie had just grabbed a slice of mallowmelt, when someone tapped her shoulder. She spun around and came face to face with Fitz. She felt her cheeks grow hot and butterflies start in her stomach. She hugged him,

"Hi Sophie, you look beautiful." Fitz said, pulling out of the hug.

"Thank you." She replied, her cheeks red, "I like your tunic."

"Biana chose it. She hid all my other ones."

Sophie smiled, remembering the conversation she had with Biana through her Imparter.

"How's everything with you?" Sophie asked.

"Good. Mom insisted on this Gala, even though I've already made up my mind."

"Oh really?" Sophie teased, raising her eyebrow, "Who's the lucky girl?"

"You." Fitz replied, smiling.

"Me?" Sophie answered in mock suprise.

They walked over to some chairs that had been lined up against the wall. They both sat down facing each other.

"Sophie, when this is over, will you go on a date with me?" Fitz mumbled, fiddling with the edge of his tunic. He glanced at her hopefully.

"No." Sophie replied flatly, "Grady would kill me."

Fitz looked crestfallen, "Oh, that's okay, maybe another time?"

"Oh Fitz! Of course I will!" Sophie laughed, "You should have seen your expression!"