Chapter 16

Cheryl didn't have anyone to talk to about Toni. She couldn't talk to Veronica and Josie because when it came to her, they were very hard to deal with. She talked to Kevin sometimes but still, she couldn't express what she constantly felt to anyone. So she slowly distanced herself from her friend group. She wouldn't hang out with them or text them everyday, like she did before. And it was obvious. Veronica and Josie noticed her backing off, so one day, they decided to lay all the cards down, be mature and talk about everything. They were sitting at the students lounge. Josie had just gotten coffee for them and they were going over their text books and taking notes. Josie looked at Veronica, pointed at Cheryl with her head so she would start the conversation.

"Hey Cheryl?"-Veronica said.

"Yeah?"-Cheryl looked at her. "What's up?"

"You tell us."-Josie said.

"What am I supposed to tell you?"-Cheryl asked. She knew what they were going to say and she knew she would need to hold herself from not messing everything up if her friends, once again, told her who she can't hang out with.

"Did we do something wrong? If so, tell us so we can work on it."-Josie said.

Cheryl just kept looking at them.

"You're hardly around anymore, Cheryl. You're completely lost and you don't talk to us. You know you can count on us for anything."-Veronica said.

"Okay no, I don't think I can count on you for everything. You've been making this very hard for me."-Cheryl said.

"We know about Toni."-Josie said, interrupting Cheryl.

"Yeah, we do."-Veronica said.

"Oh, let me guess. What did she do now? She killed someone? She is the worst person and I should not talk to her? Just save it, don't make me sit through whatever you're about to say."-Cheryl said, raising her voice.

"No, Cheryl, stop. We know you two talk and that you're into her. We know you were hanging out together all this time."-Veronica said. "We don't judge you for it. It's your life, you can do whatever you want."

"Yeah, we didn't know you two had something or we wouldn't talk bad about her all the time. It doesn't matter who it is, Cheryl, as long as she makes you happy."-Josie said.

Veronica nodded and smiled at Cheryl, as she was observing both of them.

"We're not....There's nothing going on between us. I do have feelings for her but she's not at the same page as me. In fact, she's in a relationship with a guy. She has been for almost a year now."-Cheryl said, closing her text book in front of her.

The girls were on the lounge alone but Fangs and Sweet Pea were walking on the hallway. Sweet Pea really liked Josie so he grabbed Fangs, stopping him from walking further. They stopped at the entrance of the lounge, so Sweet Pea could just look at Josie. They had no idea what they were in for and that they would be hearing all those things about their best friend, Toni.

"Oh! It's weird though, because Josie and I would always look at you when you would interact with each-other lately and we could've sworn she was in love with you. Just the way she approaches you and how proud she looked throughout your speech last week."-Veronica said.

"Yeah, it's strange. I've caught her staring at you way more than I look at Reggie."-Josie said.

Hearing that, Fangs started laughing at Sweet Pea for being all over an unavailable girl. Someone who clearly liked another guy. Sweet Pea pushed him then he kept listening to the conversation.

"Has she never shown signs that she's into you?"-Veronica asked Cheryl.

"In my mind, yes. But, I have to think that only I would look at certain things as flirting, since I wanted them to be that so bad. You know, your mind playing tricks on you?"-Cheryl said.

The girls nodded and looked at Cheryl with an 'we feel bad for you' look on their faces. And pity was the last thing Cheryl Blossom would settle for.

"I am moving on from her though. I'm trying to figure out a way to completely move on without cutting contact with her."-Cheryl said.

"Whatever your decision is, we're here for you. But, if you're hurting because of Toni, maybe you should start to slowly walk away and distance yourself. Don't break your own heart if she's not interested."-Veronica said.

"It's definitely her loss."-Josie said, smiling.

The girls started asking Cheryl about Toni and how it all came to life, their relationship with each-other but by the time Cheryl started telling them, Sweet Pea and Fangs were already gone. They started running to find Toni. Of course they would tell her about everything they had heard, not even thinking whether they should or not. Toni was walking alone to take the elevator to meet with Betty and Jughead, when the guys grabbed her by her arm, making her walk with them. Toni was so confused, asking what they were doing. They entered an empty class room, 206.

"What are you on to now?"-Toni asked them, sitting on top of a desk

The guys looked at each-other and then Sweet Pea said:

"You know Cheryl? Blossom?"

"Yeah, dumb ass, I think I do."-Toni said.

"She's in love with you."-Fangs shouted, still out of breath from running.

"Lower your voice, you jerk."-Sweet Pea said.

"Okay, I don't have time for this. You are both so stupid."-Toni said, grabbing her bag to leave, thinking that Jughead talked to them and they were messing with her.

"We're not lying, okay? We don't know if she's in love but we heard her talking to Veronica and Josie at the students lounge just now. They were talking about you. Comforting Cheryl because she's into you and you're not with her."-Sweet Pea said.

"Because you have a boyfriend, understandable."-Fangs nodded.

Toni just looked so confused. Suddenly she was getting all this info about Cheryl liking her, too. First Betty and now them? She didn't know how to act. She just wanted to see Cheryl. So, she told the guys that she'd talk to them later and walked out. She went to the lounge. The whole way there, she thought she had the guts to talk to Cheryl. To confront her and let her know that she does feel the same way. But, she couldn't. She looked at Cheryl from far away, where the guys were standing before. She realized that she didn't know how to find the strength to finally let her feelings out.

See, Toni was strong just not when it came to her. Not when it came to Cheryl.