Chapter 32

The girls came back from their trip. They had an amazing time. Toni told Cheryl about everything they did and she was happy her girlfriend got a little bit of distraction after all that drama with Peach. She knew that Toni was feeling really useless and bored after quitting her job. So, this two day vacation treated her good.

Cheryl waited for a couple of days to tell Toni about Celeste. She needed to find the right words. She was scared of her reaction. So one day, after everyone was done with class and the girls were back to their place, she decided to finally talk to her. Toni was studying at the kitchen table and then Cheryl called her.

"Toni, can we talk?"-she said to her.

"Yeah."-Toni went to sit close to her on the living room. "Do you need help with that?"

Cheryl was working on something for college.

"No, thanks babe."-Cheryl said. "There's really no easy way to say this..."

"Hey, what's up? You can tell me."-Toni said, touching her face gently with the back of her hand.

"Promise me you will listen 'till the end before saying anything. I really need you to let me finish."-Cheryl said.

"I promise."-Toni said.

"I want you to know that everything I did was purely out of love. There was no other intention, okay?"-Cheryl said. "When we were at your grandfather's, I asked him about your mom when it was just the two of us. I asked him when he saw her for the last time, and he said a time that was inconvenient to the whole story. He tried to back off from it but it was stuck in my mind. I thought how there was a chance that he didn't tell you the whole truth. And turns out, I was right."

Toni looked at her very confused. She wanted to talk but she had to let her finish.

"Since Thanksgiving, I have been looking for your mom."-Cheryl said.

"What?"-Toni said, getting up.

"No, listen."-Cheryl said.

"No, Cheryl, I don't want to hear it. Who gave you the right to go and look for her?"-Toni said.

"Toni, I found her, okay?"-Cheryl said.

"You found her?"-Toni said.

"I did. She lives a couple of hours away from here."-Cheryl said.

Toni stopped to think for a second.

"Right now, I don't care that you don't want to listen to me. But you have to hear what she has to say."-Cheryl said.

"No, I don't have to. I don't have to do anything for a woman who left me and never looked back. Don't even try to justify her."-Toni said.

"I'm not. I just need you to know that it's not the whole story. There are a lot of things that you don't know about."-Cheryl said.

"And how do you know?"-Toni said.

"Because I went to see her. This weekend."-Cheryl said.

"The weekend where you supposedly had too much to do that you couldn't even leave the house?"-Toni asked.

"I'm sorry for lying to you but I had to do this."-Cheryl said.

"No, you didn't have to. You chose to do it."-Toni said. "Out of everybody, I thought you would be the one to understand me in this."

"And I do. But I also understand that not having the love of your own mother can break you in ways that are too strange to be imagined. I may never get the chance to fix those parts with my mom, but if there was a slight chance that you could, I had to take it."-Cheryl said, getting close to her.