Donut Thief

Today I was blessed with no work. Which is strange I guess with me being a police officer and all. My name is Jerry Finch. I work at the Shoreline Police Station, today at the station there is going to be a big party, this is the reason for a lack of work. 

I go to my car and start to drive down the familiar road to the station. I turn on the radio and listen to the sports station. I have loved sports ever since I was a little kid. Unfortunately, due to an injury in my shoulder I was not able to play my favorite sport, football, professionally, so I chose my next favorite thing, a cop. My father was a cop, so I always found it to be cool.

I stop at a red light and my fingers drum against the steering wheel. I look over to my left and see a bakery. My eyes widen in realization.

"I haven't gotten anything for the party like I said I would..." I mutter worriedly. When the light turns green, I race to a nearby donut shop. I park in front of the small, chockablock building. It is a pristine white with green tiles, each tile having a different donut on it. I go up to the door and notice the closed sign.

"Dammit," I say in aggravation. I look around to see if anyone was coming.

This is such a bad idea, I could go to jail for this, but I need those donuts.

I go to my car and come back with a lock pick. I start to maneuver the small metal object in the key hole until I hear the click of the lock. I open the doors and sprint in, careful not to be seen by any cameras. I go behind the counter and grab a pink box. I carefully file the donuts in the box, color by color, flavor by flavor. I get done with 2 boxes when a blue and red-light flashes in the distance.

"I didn't account for the silent alarm system, shit," I say as the door swings open. I duck under the counter and I turn to the door to see an officer standing there.

"Okay, come on out I know you are in here," The familiar voice says. This voice belongs to my best friend, Garett. I poke my head up from behind the counter and slowly stand up. I smile at him sheepishly as he looks at me with confusion, "Jerry? What are you doing here?"

"Hey, Garett, so you know how there is a party today, yeah well I didn't get any donuts, so I made a quick pit stop," I say awkwardly shuffling on my feet. Garret looks at me with wide eyes.

"Wait that was today, shoot, help me I said I was going to bring something too," He says hopping over the counter. I stare at him in dumbfoundedly and start to put donuts in boxes.

After about ten minutes we rush out of the store, with five dozen donuts, and head to our cars.

"I will give you an escort to the party so that we aren't late," Garett says. I nod at him and get in my car. I start to follow him as he turns on his lights and we go speeding down the road to the station. We make it with 5 minutes to spare. We walk through the doors and set the food down.

"Did they give you donuts for helping them sort out the break in?" on of my colleagues ask. I look at him then at Garett who is wide eyed. I look back at my colleague.

"Yep, they sure did," I respond. That was the best party we had in months.