Short Story #1

How is that everywhere you look you see such wondrous, curious, magical things? Your other half can't see them. She looks around and sees a world of color dulled by a black and white view.

     You see a flower and grin at it's beauty - how it sways in the wind with a sweet smell and light dances around it's graceful figure with a picturesque look.

      She sees the same view but only notes it as a purple flower.

     You frown and exclaim, "It's not purple! It's rich violet with an emerald green stem and the sweet scent of nature and beauty! It's living, it's fragile, and it's magical! The things you could learn from a mere flower are beyond the recognition of those who claim 'it's only a flower' and you should never claim that on anything!"

     She can't hear you. The screams and shouts of protest are only a mere whisper in the back of her mind, mingled and lost among the whispers of negativity and apathy. She can't hear you though she truly longs to. The fog is too thick and the sorrow too great, it's only a flower that will die in a week or two.

     You scream and cry and beg to be heard until finally you are! You grin beside her, whisper of the sunsets blazing like colored flames! She grins as she stares, silence in her mind, created by awe no matter how much she sees it when it's through your eyes.

     She wants to cry, free of the whispers that dulled her eyes. It's pure joy as you point to the swaying trees where those birds have become more! A hawk and it's nest in one, a raven staring in another! You sing alongside those birds and the wind as she follows their sound to a river and along its bends!

     You play a game of chase, noting all the things you can. The variety of flowers from rich golden, to blossoming violets, to pastel blues and beyond! The trees sway in the graceful winds, the leaves shift and rays of light dance through them onto the ground below where soft grass grows alongside the lucky clovers and enchanting moss. The scenes are gorgeous everywhere you look, the colors so vibrant even when you look at those long faded.

     She takes note of this, of your smile, of your happiness and wonder. It took so long for the days of joy to arrive and she revels in it. Every detail, every scene, every moment etched into her memory as she lives it and savors it.

     You run, oblivious to the dull look returning like a veil over her eyes. You pull her by the hand and show every little thing until you realize she's not there anymore. You're holding a cold hand to a vibrant girl with such dull eyes. She laughs at your jokes, she smiles at your words, but it's all empty and emotionless once more.

     Her eyes devoid of color and life as you fade. You scream and plead, gripping her hands in yours but it doesn't matter - she cant hear you.

     Once more, you are forced to watch from the shadows screaming and begging to be heard. You are nothing more than a lost whisper but your fight continues for the day that dull look will return to its vibrant colors.

I don't do this kind of short story things often, but this was written to depict the battle of depression as best as I could think to portray it. Next upload will be sometime before Sunday, February 3.