Chapter 6

Emily's POV

Today's task was given out at the end of the class, and lucky for me I don't have to do anything so I can focus on other work. Ashton, however has to "do something nice for me" which could mean anything.

"Hey Luke are you ready for your meet the parents dinner tomorrow night?" Michael and Calum come up to Luke and I ask we walk towards the car with smiles on their faces.

"Yeah, yeah whatever. I don't even know if I'm going to go. She's crazy and I bet her parents are exactly the same." He says as we reach the car. The boys lean against the fender and settle in for a long conversation. I huff and lean against my open door on the other side of the car. Don't they know I have more important things to do than listen to them talk?

"No you have to go!" Calum argues and Luke rolls his eyes. "We want to hear all about it." He says and Michael joins him in laughing.

"Luke you have to go." I say to him as I get in the car and shut my door. He leans down so he can see me inside the car.

"And why is that? You can't make me." He smirks as Calum and Michael peer at me through the windscreen, wondering what I'm going to say next.

"Because I told mum about it. Now can we go please?" The boys standing next to my brother burst out laughing and Luke's face quickly turns to rage. They all know how our mum is and how she would never let Luke break a date, especially if it was with a girl.

"I'll see you guys at the house." Luke pouts like a child and gets into the car so he can get away from his still laughing friends as fast as he can.

~*~

"Luke are you ready yet?" Mum calls out from the kitchen and I laugh to myself on the couch. I should feel more sympathy for him but he does make me go places I don't want to go. He stomps down the stairs two minutes later in a jacket I've never seen before that makes him look like he's trying too hard to be something he's not.

"What's with the jacket?" I laugh and he sighs.

"Lily bought it for me. You know how the other day was supposed to be husbands do something nice for your wives? Well I don't think she can read because she got me this jacket. It's not even my style or colour so I'm wearing it tonight so it at least gets one wear." Mum comes out of the kitchen and immediately starts fixing his collar.

"What time are you going to be home?" She asks him as he tries to push her fiddling hands away.

"I don't know mum, but it's going to be as early as possible. I can't believe you're making me go." He huffs and she puts her hands on her hips.

"Luke Hemmings, I did not raise you to treat women like this. Now you're going and you will have a good time with her regardless." As she looks at her watch Luke gives me a look that says 'yeah right' and I giggle quietly. "You should get going or you'll be late." She shoves him out the door and hands him his keys as she shuts the door in his face. He may be annoying but I hope he gets through this dinner alright.

I go back to the show I was watching before Luke came downstairs and mum goes back to the kitchen. A few minutes later the doorbell rings and I roll my eyes.

"I'll get it, it's probably Luke trying to pretend he forgot something." I say and I hear mum laugh from the kitchen. When I open the door the humoured smile on my face falls.

"Oh hey Ashton." I say and he furrows his eyebrows at me.

"Were you expecting someone else?" He asks and I sheepishly look away.

"Actually I expected it to be Luke." I laugh. "So what are you doing here?" I ask him and he tilts his head at me before getting out his phone.

"Saturday 8:30, right?" He says and its my turn to look confused. Did I organise study time with him and I completely forgot?