Chapter 2

"Hey boss!" Owen offered a cheeky smile while he slowly opened the door to Claire's office. He waved a file he had in his hand and inched towards her desk. "Here are the files you wanted."

"Don't call me that..." She flirted, smiling back at him, fixing her green eyes on him while he dropped the file on her desk and leaned against it.

"Aren't you my boss though?" He teased.

"Yes...but I don't like to think about us as boss and employee." She pursed her lips and gestured vaguely between them.

"Why not? Is work ethic a turn off for your many fantasies?"

"Ugh... I don't have fantasies." She cleared her throat.

"Bummer." He shrugged, slowly taking her hand and playing with their fingers. "Because you are the main star of mine." He laughed after seeing the glowing of her eyes, making it sound like he was just messing with her.

"Can I help you with anything else, Mr. Grady?" She stood up from her desk and, walking to the door, she held it open for him. She hadn't found that funny.

"Yes." He pushed his hands inside the pocket of his pants. "Are we still up for lunch today?" He playfully wondered. "It's my turn to pick and I have the perfect menu figured out."

Claire smiled faintly and nodded. "Pick me up here at one?" She suggested.

"Will do, Ms. Dearing." He nodded and, taking ahold of her arm, he leaned close and kissed her cheek.

It had been a couple of months since Jurassic World had opened its gates to the public, and just like planned, everything was going great. Guest satisfaction was above the low nineties and the place was packed every day with people from all around the world.

Claire and Owen hadn't been shy to flirt with each other from day one, their interactions staying way too friendly for a work environment, but they had never gone beyond sharing a chaste kiss once or twice.

Being new to the position made Claire a little too strict at times, and she had quickly become feared by her employees and labeled as being too mean and technically a cold bitch. Aside from Owen — and her assistant Zara — she didn't really have friends on that island. She didn't feel like she needed more, though, as Owen was always attentive and a great listener, not to mention he always had her back.

They had been going out for lunch every day for a month now. Their taste in food was so different that they had agreed to take turns and put together a menu one day each: that way they could share.

Owen had gotten some steak burritos and fruit smoothies for their lunch that day. He had also gotten some fries and pizza on the side.

They were eating at their exclusive private little corner behind the pools. There were a few picnic tables there, but no one seemed to use them.

She helped him with both their smoothies while he carried their tray over to their usual table. They sat on the same bench; they usually let their knees bump lightly from time to time or just casually offer the other a tender rub on their lap.

Owen watched her take a sip from her smoothie: he always got her a strawberry mango, a mix he knew she loved.

He tilted his head, trying to find her eyes while brushing her hair gently and massaging the back of her neck. "Pizza for your thoughts?" He offered her some, noticing she was quieter than usual.

Claire slowly took the slice and nibbled on it. Then she sighed and let her eyes finally meet his. "You know...I'm very grateful we are friends." She smiled.