Chapter 4: Patrol Day

Today is Patrol day . Every forty days the patrol flies along the mountain ranges and searches. Searches for us. Everyone has to stay in their rooms. No talking, no walking, no activity in the tunnels or in the main room. Basically no fun. Aaron, Lisa and I break this rule. They are my best friends. Lisa is the same age as me and Aaron is a year older.

I grew up with them both. They are the only kids my age. Lisa and Aaron have been dating for 200 days today. We know because they have kept track from the patrol days. They are okay together but there is a part of me that wishes that I was with him. But she is my friend and I support her.

"Psst." I heard. "Psst over here"

I look around but no one is there.

"Char, to the right."

Now I know it is Aaron who is calling me. He is the only one that calls me Char. I stand up and walk to my right and bump into a wall. I can't see anything because it is pitch black. We aren't even allowed to light our lanterns on Patrol day. But I keep inching to the right until I find a hand. Aarons hand grabs mine and we run through the tunnels together.

We do this every Patrol day. Aaron, Lisa and I. We found this little spot near the river. There was a small hole in the cave wall and on the other side is another empty cave next to the water. We come here every patrol day. We come to escape. When we were younger we were always scared of this day. Scared of being found and killed. Aaron and Lisa would come to my room and sit with me in silence. Aaron was like our protector. Until one day we found our little cave. And now that is where we go. The river is loud enough to drown out our voices from the outside but we can hear each other perfectly.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A/N

I hope you like the story so far! I love writing and I really like reading. Comment if you want me to read your pieces.

Follow me on twitter:

@horrortigergirl

Like and comment what you think :)

S.C.