Chapter Thirty Two - The Driving Lesson

As Daryl and Emma hopped off of the motorbike, Rick and the rest of the group got out of their designated cars.

The hunter and the nurse had returned to the containers to get the group to follow them here.

"We can clear this field," Daryl began. "Camp the night geek free, then clear our way inside."

Rick nodded, "A prison's gunna be split in different sections. That'll make it safer and easier to clear. We can do it block by block."

"I'm not having this baby in a prison!" Lori exclaimed then.

"Lori," Emma stepped forward before Rick could jump down the woman's throat. "It's four walls and a roof, and these fences will protect us even more. Having the baby in there, is the best option we've got. No walker will hear you either, it's safe for everyone."

The brunette looked between Emma and the prison then, before reluctantly nodding in agreement.

"Alright," Rick began, "Glenn, I want you with Maggie, Dale and Herschel in the truck. T-dog, Emma and Daryl you're with me." He handed Shane's old revolver to Lori. "I want you, Carol and Beth here, between the two gates looking after Coral and Sophia, okay?"

"Okay."

"Emma, I want you to take the wheel. T, you sit in the front. Daryl, me and you will stand in the bed of the truck."

Emma nodded, but froze when Maggie grabbed the keys to the automatic and their small group piled inside the vehicle.

The red head held up her hand nervously, gaining Rick's attention as Daryl and T-Dog turned for the second truck. "There's a slight problem with that plan."

"Which is?" Rick questioned.

She gestured to the truck, "I can't drive a manual."

He held a hand to his head and sighed, "Well, time to learn."

Daryl's head snapped round, "Put us in a ditch, Princess, you best pray it's ya driving that kills us."

"Thanks for the vote of confidence." The nurse commented.

"Focus, you two." Rick scolded, gesturing for T-Dog to change plan, and hop into the bed of the truck with the hunter. "Carol, as soon as the cars are through, I want you to close this gate and lock it, alright?"

"Okay."

The pregnant woman, the short haired mother, the teenager, and the two kids would be secured between two sets of gates. Emma had given Carol her crowbar, and Daryl had handed both Carl and Sophia one bolt each for protection, if they needed it. Maggie had handed Beth a knife.

The gears grinded together as Emma shifted into first, and she shot Rick an innocent smile as he stared back at her with a blank expression.

What have we gotten ourselves into?

"What do I do now?" She asked.

"Little gas, and slowly bring up the clutch."

The car shot forwards, and she braked hard - sending both men in the bed of the truck tumbling over. Rick put on his seatbelt.

"Damn it, Princess!"

"Sorry!" She called back, biting her bottom lip as she tried again.

The truck bunny-hopped a few times, Daryl and T having to shuffle back down into a crouched position before they fell on their asses for a second time.

"Ok, slowly release the clutch."

She did as she was told, and squealed in excitement as the truck behaved itself this time. "As long as we don't have to stop, we should be good." Rick commented, as Carol closed the gate behind them. "Drive slowly around the field, shift into- clutch down! - second gear."