✪chapter seventeen✪

╔════════════════╗

╚════════════════╝

╚════════════════╝

     A few days passed following the fall of S.H.I.E.L.D. and so much was happening. Steve was in the hospital. He had been shot in the leg and in the abdomen by the Winter Soldier in one of the Insight helicarrier and he had been in bad shape when he was found.

I visited him in the hospital after two days. The agents posted outside of his door let me inside of the room and Sam smiled when I walked in. 

"Hey," he greeted me softly. He stood up from his chair and moved across the room to give me a hug. 

I smiled back and hugged him back. "Hey, Sam. How's he doing?"

Sam sat back in his chair and sighed tiredly. "He's just been sleeping but he'll be fine."

I nodded my head slowly and moved across the room to stand on the other side of his bed. My heart was heavy in my chest as I watched him sleep. He had a cut on the side of his mouth that was stitched together and I knew that he had the two gunshot wounds that I couldn't see.

Slowly and gingerly, I reached my hand out to just barely graze his hand. It was easy to feel my power flow through my fingers and into him. It felt like a light breeze between us and I felt lighter. 

I didn't use too much of my power; just enough to help him get better faster. I don't really know what possessed me to do it but I did and it was too late to talk myself out of it.

I smiled sadly down at Steve's sleeping form, my heart breaking slightly for a reason I wasn't totally sure of.

And then, with a heavy sigh, I stepped away from the bed and looked up at Sam. He was already watching me and I sniffed softly.

"Um, please don't tell him that I was here," I requested, my voice coming out soft and sad. "And don't tell him that, um...that I helped him heal."

In a haste, I started to leave the room without another word to Sam. I didn't know why I was feeling so emotional but I was and I wanted to get out before I cried.

But Sam quickly stopped me. 

"Seraphina, wait."

I stopped in my tracks and sniffed again. I sucked in a deep breath and turned back to Sam. He was standing up from his chair again and he crossed the room to stand in front of me.

"Why don't you stay a little longer?" he questioned me gently.

I let out the breath I was holding onto and shook my head nervously. "No, I...I can't stay."

"Why not?"

I tugged my bottom lip between my teeth and looked up at him. He was my friend and he was Steve's, too. The way he looked down at me carefully made me feel like he knew more than I did about why I was so hasty to get away, but I didn't want to know.