✪chapter three✪

╔════════════════╗

╚════════════════╝

╚════════════════╝

     My phone rang as I finished changing into a cleaner pair of clothes after my shower. I reached over to pluck the small device from my mattress and I looked down at the screen. Natasha was the one calling me.

"Hey, Nat," I answered the phone. I was still banged up and shaken up from the accident but I disguised that in my voice. I didn't need my Red Room assassin friend to ask me questions.

"Seraphina," she sniffled. "It's Nick," she said.

My entire body froze. "I-Is he okay? Natasha, please tell me he's okay," I begged her. I could feel tears burn in my eyes because the sound of her voice was telling me that she was the bearer of bad news.

I hadn't heard from Nick since we parted ways after the attack, despite my fervourous attempts to reach him.

"He was attacked today. And when he escaped, he made it to Steve's apartment where he ended up getting shot multiple times." A gasp escaped my lips and I covered my mouth with my free hand. "He...He just died on the operating table, Sera."

My phone slipped from my hands and fell to the ground. I was practically frozen in my place. I couldn't believe this. I didn't want to believe it.

This can't be happening.

Fury was my mentor, and my friend. He took me in when I was 16, after I had been on the run for several months. He found me in a diner that I had destroyed, took me into S.H.I.E.L.D. and pretty much raised me as his own. He was a surrogate father to me. He trained me to become an agent. He considered me for the Avengers Initiative, but when the Initiative flopped, he just kept training me in case I ever got to go on missions.

He was everything to me.

The next step in the slow process to losing my mind was to fall to my knees.

My eyes slowly brimmed with tears, blurring my vision. I was losing my dad all over again.

I was five years old the first time I lost my dad. The second time was now, at 26 years old.

I could faintly hear Natasha's voice coming from my phone but I frantically hit the red button that ended the call. A strangled sob escaped my lips.

I pushed a fist against my chest as my racing heart started making my chest ache. I was crying so hard that I started to hyperventilate.

My chest kept constricting and it hurt to breathe. After everything that Nick had done for me in the past ten years, losing him right after the anniversary of losing my dad was enough to make me lose my mind if I didn't die of a heart attack first.