𝒞𝒽𝒶𝓅𝓉𝑒𝓇 𝒪𝓃𝑒

***

Dull. Gloomy.

Was what the atmosphere was supposed to be, since it was raining and I got stuck at home. But Mason was with me, which made me feel a lot better.

I was currently resting my head on Mason's lap while he played with my hair.

"Mason?" I quietly called out. His long, tender fingers suddenly stopped brushing through my hair.

His hand moved down to my cheek, gently caressing it.

"Yeah?"

"I'm glad you're here."

"Me too."

Mason has been my best friend since I was an 8 year-old, though he's 3 years older than me.

Our first encounter was funny, since we met in a dark alley.

Suspicious, right?

|Flashback|

I panted heavily as I sprinted across the sidewalk. "Get back here, you little brat!" The fifth-graders yelled.

I wasn't going to let them take away my money. No way. I'm saving up to buy an awesome superhero figurine.

I continued running, with them following close behind, until I felt a sudden force pulling me into a sharp turn.

I fell from the sudden contact and landed on something uneven. I opened my eyes to see a pair of chocolate eyes staring back.

As I took in his appearance, I realized that it was the good guy from our neighborhood. My friends called him "Hero", since he always helps them with the fifth-graders.

And here he was, helping me.

I retrieved my hands that had been around his neck and stood up. I wasn't particularly injured except for a few scratches here and there.

I looked down at the boy who was getting up. He's really brave, that's for sure. "Are you okay?" I asked him.

He nodded and stood up. "I'm fine, but if they bother you again, tell me." He firmly told me.

I nodded and looked around. We were in a dirty, dark alley. My nose scrunched up as I breathed in the unpleasant smell.

"Let's get out of here."

He offered me his hand as I turned to look at him. "You don't want to get lost, do you?" He asked me.

I shook my head and placed my hand in his, which he held securely. We waited for a bit and eventually, heard the fifth-graders.

I couldn't help but giggle. They were really helpless, but right when they were about to leave, they stopped.

"W-What-", he raised his hand and placed it on top of my mouth, preventing me from making any other noises.

The fifth-graders lurked around the area for a while, and finally left. He moved his hand away from my mouth and dropped it to his side.

"Thank you." I smiled at him, gripping his hand tightly. "No problem." He quietly replied.

He led me to our neighborhood park and stopped in front of a tree. "You can find your house from here." He told me, moving his hand away from my grasp.

"Why don't you come over to my house?" I squeezed his hand, frowning at the loss of contact.

He gave me a weak smile and shook his head. "I can't. We just met, so it's weird." He freed his hand from my hold and looked back.